• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blown brakeline! What should i do?

aduke

NAXJA Forum User
after a very wet wheeling run yesterday i was coming home and when i pushed on my brakes the peddle went to the floor. the line that runs along the uni-body rail to the back brakes has a small split about midway down. is it possible to cut the part section out and splice in a new one by flaring the old line and putting some unions in? are there anyother akternatives?

thanks a lot

Temp, you may be able to splice, but it shouldn't be permanent. Personally, I would cap off the leaking line at the master cylinder until I could get a replaceable line.

Oh, and DRIVE SLOW AND CAREFUL !!!

yes it is perfectly fine to replace the damaged section with a flared splice. As long as all 4 ends are done correctly you should be able to fix it and forget about it..........it is no different than many other rigs who do that on purpose

What you propose is a customary way to repair this problem, but I would recommend against just splicing in a short section. I tried it, and blew a new hole just beyond my splice while bleeding the repair. Cut the line forward of the break far enough that you KNOW you have solid material, flare that end, then run all new line from there to the rear axle.

By all means splice it if you can do the double flare well in place. But examine the whole line first, so you don't find yourself going to all that trouble of flaring a foot away from next month's failure. It isn't all that hard to do the whole length. You can make it up out of a few shorter pieces, all spliced, making for easier replacement in future.

Well, you have to figure that line blew for a reason, probably due to fatigue or corrosion or both. Do yourself a favor and just replace the whole line from the MC to the rear. While you're at it check your front lines too. If you already have the flare tool, bulk line is cheap. These are your brakes you're talking about here.

If it blew, chances are some of the rest is ready too. Had the same problem on my MJ.

I started a new line from the cab back. Dont flare rustyold line, your just fooling yourself.

Another thing is that the line will brake when theres a high pressure in it, like a panic stop.

Back