• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Foglights

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
The factory foglights in my '98 Limited just quit the other night (no light off the front of the truck and no idiot light on in the switch)and I haven't had a chance to investigate yet. If it's not a fuse or bulb, where should I look or should I let the dealer fix it at that point, I've got about 1k miles left on the extended warrenty?

bjoehandley said:
The factory foglights in my '98 Limited just quit the other night (no light off the front of the truck and no idiot light on in the switch)and I haven't had a chance to investigate yet. If it's not a fuse or bulb, where should I look or should I let the dealer fix it at that point, I've got about 1k miles left on the extended warrenty?

My thoughts are if it's under warranty, let 'em fix it. You paid for it....

However, if the don't cover it (which in my experience they never seem to cover it) then check the switch first. It usually melts since there are two bulbs inside all that plastic. A stock replacement is $25 from Autozone, or you could wire another switch in there.

Check the fogs themselves, are they cracked/broken/wet? They suck anyway (IMO) so replace 'em with cheapies (Harbor Freight), Hellas, or whatever else you want . . .

DR

The factory switches have a tendency to go bad, jeepsareus.com have them as might a marine supply shop, I think it was beezle who found the crossover part number and the manufacterer of those switches. Ivan collects all those links and stuff, or seems to as he pops up with a link from time to time.
I have had two bulbs go bad but even then the light in the switch should still work, there are also two relays in the powercenter under the hood as well as two fuses.

Haven't had much rain (and what it has seen was almost a month ago), haven't wheeled it recently, or hit any severe potholes either. I was wondering about relays and the switch though, and if I remember right, the warrenty does cover them (as long as they are factory, aren't these standard with the Limited Package anyway?) If not and there is a problem with the lights I still have some wide beam KC foglights that were supposed to go on my Lebaron GTS 10 years ago but never made it that may fit. Wonder if there is a Re-Man fog light switch that the warrenty company would try and have installed hasta

Have Lou's take care of it. other wise check the wires in the housing of the fog lamp I had the same problem and it turned out to be a bad connection in the housing and it seems to be better now...

They started working on the way home from work, in the rain? Just before leaving myself and a co-worker poped the fuse box cover off to see exactly whats underthere than put it back on and left for the day, then it would/wouldn't work, Works now that I got home? I have a $75 "co-pay" for repair work on it through the warranty if I don't take it to CarMax to have the work done, I want to do as much as I can myself first. I may go talk to Ted next chance I get if it's still a problem.

Go under there, and pop off the foglight (one bolt.) Take the bulb out of the back and check the wires. It is likely the ground in the light is making intermittent contact. I reconfigured it a little, got a good ground and they work fine.

uhm you might want to check but didn't jeep have a recall on the wiring for their foglights causing fires under the hood from them shorting and there being no fuse or the fuse doesn't blow when they short.something along those lines for some year cherokees

bjoehandley said:
They started working on the way home from work, in the rain? Just before leaving myself and a co-worker poped the fuse box cover off to see exactly whats underthere than put it back on and left for the day, then it would/wouldn't work, Works now that I got home? I have a $75 "co-pay" for repair work on it through the warranty if I don't take it to CarMax to have the work done, I want to do as much as I can myself first. I may go talk to Ted next chance I get if it's still a problem.

I was curious about the deductible... you can buy a good set of Hella/KC/Bosch lights for less than $75.... and you'll even be able to SEE when you put them on!

(I have no experience with factory XJ foglights... but I have experience with a few sets of other Chrysler factory foglights!)

Den

bjoehandley said:
Looks like it's the switch, I have to "jiggle" it to get it to work, is that a separate one or is it built in with the rear wiper and defroster switches.

All three switches pop out from the back of the panel, jeepsareus.com sells the switches, just make sure you buy the correct year/model.

Back