• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Am I missing something? (hub removal-Ujoint)

TMNT

NAXJA Forum User
So I am changing the front axle Ujoints and the hubs will not come off. I think I am missing a step in removing these. I have used a few online (very good) How-tos on this and I dont see the step I am missing. Could it be that my Hub is just stuck on? I dont think these things have been removed since factory installed. I took some pictures that should aid in some help from yall. I even have a slide hammer (puller) and its not coming off. Anyways...here are the pictures.

ujoint4.jpg

ujoint3.jpg

ujoint2.jpg

ujoint.jpg

thanks

-Dillon

Put one of the three hub bolts back in and start tapping it out. Keep rotating that bolt between the three holes and keep going around. There is a chance you will have to replace that bolt because it will become bushroomed from hitting it but that is the way I get my hub off the knuckle.

I looked at your pictures again, you took off the main hub bolt? If so there was no reason to do so. You are killing yourself for a really easy job. There is no need to take the hub off the :yoke stub shaft"

katarn

There is if he needs to replace the shaft/u-joint.

You've got all the hard stuff done, just keep working at it. Eventually they will come off. I've used a three jaw puller to get it off, that worked pretty well. Tighten it up, then nail then end of it with a hammer (straight towards the shaft). The vibration from hitting the end of the puller will help, that's usually what gets it to let go. If it doesn't, then tighten some more, lather, rinse, repeat.

When using the slide hammer, make sure and leave the axle nut on and tight, otherwise you will ruin the unit bearing.

I have had better luck with a slide hammer than with hammering on the bolts for really seized hubs. You can also hammer on the flange, though it's awkward, but use a lead hammer or you'll end up raising the edges and have to file them down again before you remount the wheel.

Whichever way you do it, you should, as Old Man says, put the axle nut back on so you don't pull the bearing apart. You did not have to take the tie rod end off, though.

If it's really stuck, then when you get even the tiniest bit of separation, stop right there, and drench the crack with your favorite penetrant, or kerosene or diesel in a pinch, and then hammer it back in and repeat. Eventually it will loosen and you can pull it all the way out. Once there's a little crack, you can also insert a chisel or other tool and pry there. Just make sure it comes out straight or it will jam again.

Thanks for the help alot folks....but I NEVER want to do that again! hah What a PITA. Thanks again for the help.

-Dillon

Actually once you get the thing apart and the rust under control, it is a piece of cake. We routinely change them on the trail in less than 30 minutes. I've had way too much practice.

old_man said:
Actually once you get the thing apart and the rust under control, it is a piece of cake. We routinely change them on the trail in less than 30 minutes. I've had way too much practice.

hah ya I can see that now. I this these were the original Ujoints. I think i will use some anti-seize on them and make sure the corrosion is off. My jeep is pretty much stock but I plan to upgrade a bunch of suspension stuff soon enough so it will help to be able to yank them off easy. I got the later model Ujoints (the heavier duty ones) so they should last for a long time now.

-Dillon

old_man said:

X2, First time I did mine they were a big BITA too. What I did to get them off was to use a chisel between the knuckle and the hub to seperate them. When they were finally off I cleaned the inside of the Steering knuckle up with a dremel. Put everything together with some anti-seize. Now they come off very easy.

Hey, maybe you can help me too. I've had this weird vibration in my 01 since I bought it, its got 89K now, but at around 55mph this vibration sets in that buzzes everything in the cabin. Higher speed makes no difference. I have replaced rear u-joints, rear wheel bearings, front driveshaft (complete, new) and still have this vibration. Tires rebalanced too. Someone told me it could be the front axle u-joints. What were your symptoms that you had to replace?
Stock suspension. Thanks

mudpuddle said:
Hey, maybe you can help me too. I've had this weird vibration in my 01 since I bought it, its got 89K now, but at around 55mph this vibration sets in that buzzes everything in the cabin. Higher speed makes no difference. I have replaced rear u-joints, rear wheel bearings, front driveshaft (complete, new) and still have this vibration. Tires rebalanced too. Someone told me it could be the front axle u-joints. What were your symptoms that you had to replace?
Stock suspension. Thanks
Mine showed up as a jerking motion when turning, kinda made the jeep turn in little straight lines.

I generally back out the 3 hub bolts 1/4 inch and hit them with a BFH, protecting the bolt head with a socket. This gradually works the hub out.

Like said, don't use a puller w/o the axlenut installed or you'll pull the hub in half.

langer1 said:
Mine showed up as a jerking motion when turning, kinda made the jeep turn in little straight lines.
Did you feel the jerking in the steering wheel, and was it felt when turning both ways?

ok so I got my new U joints pressed in and I started putting it back together and when I put the axles in and started putting the hubs on I turned the hubs just to make sure they spun smooth and they dont. They are hard to turn and when they do turn they make a grinding noise (more of a feel since I spin it slow). When I first pulled off the passenger side drive axle the whole axle (have no idea what its called) came out also. When I slide this back in did it mess something up or did it not engage? Need a bit more help guys! thanks!

-Dillon

TMNT said:
ok so I got my new U joints pressed in and I started putting it back together and when I put the axles in and started putting the hubs on I turned the hubs just to make sure they spun smooth and they dont. They are hard to turn and when they do turn they make a grinding noise (more of a feel since I spin it slow). When I first pulled off the passenger side drive axle the whole axle (have no idea what its called) came out also. When I slide this back in did it mess something up or did it not engage? Need a bit more help guys! thanks!

-Dillon

Dillon the hubs are supposed to be VERY tight! if you can spin them they are bad

about the passengers side axle shaft..............the whole statement makes absolutely no sense.....try again

xjnation said:
Dillon the hubs are supposed to be VERY tight! if you can spin them they are bad
That's not entirely true. While hubs are not supposed to be loose in the sense of having free play in them, they CAN be turned by hand (with some force) when in good working order.

AZ Jeff said:
That's not entirely true. While hubs are not supposed to be loose in the sense of having free play in them, they CAN be turned by hand (with some force) when in good working order.

Hence the term tight........... as in not loose..........as in not able to spin it freely....... :rolleyes:

Back