• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Analyze my leaks/driveline please! [Pics]

RyleyF

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 XJ with a 4.0/AW4/NP242 and have noticed that I have a few leaks on the transfercase and on the oilpan/bellhousing. I also have some seepage below the front harmonic balancer on the oilpan, but I just need a new gasket for that one.

Firstly, sorry, the underside is sorta dirty, I had it all cleaned up, then it rained so I had to run through some puddles, it's instinct, y'know?

First leak is near this random plug/bolt on the NP242, I noticed a bit of ATF around it, have no idea what it does:
strangebolt9kn.jpg

Secondly, I need a new plug o-ring for my drainplug, I know this, and usually after driving it for a bit, I notice just a drop of oil below it. Only problem is, this oil goes back onto the bellhousing. Is the oil just spraying back to the bellhousing at speed? The red circle is a drop that's on the bellhousing itself. The rear main seal has been replaced.
oilpan1ip.jpg

The oil continues down the transmission pan:
transpan2pc.jpg

And the tailcone of my transfer case is also leaking. Maybe a drop a day after driving it, there's never any on the concrete under my rig after parking it, any that I can notice anyway.
slipyoke13lw.jpg

slipyoke22vm.jpg

The pic doesn't really show the ATF that's been leaking, only about half the time do I notice any there, and even then it's just a drop sitting on the slip yoke by the seal.

How's the slip yoke driveline extention look to you guys? I have a 3" lift (3.5" actually) and a Tcase drop, and no vibes at all.

I'm about to get a .75" shackle for the rear and a 1" spacer for the front to give me about 4" all around, so can you take a look at my driveline and tell me how it looks, and if it'll be terribly bad when I put the shackle in? It's a Dana 35 non-C Clip, and a Rusty's 3" full leaf kit.
driveline1ej.jpg

First I'll comment on your drive-line angle; it looks like a standard single-Cardin u-joint at each end. If so, the angles are wrong. The angle of the transfer case output shaft should equal the pinion angle of the diff--or be ~1 or 2* low to allow for loading (should be equal angles under load). Your diff should "point" at your transfer case only if you have a double Cardin joint at the transfer case. Can't believe you have no vibes with the way it looks.
As far as the oil leaks go, it's an '89!! Not unusual for an engine/drive train that age to leak oil. Replace easy to change gaskets first then observe results. Auto trans fluid coming from bell housing indicates leaking front seal in auto trans. Leaking trans case fluid from slip yoke indicates leaking trans case output seal--possibly exacerbated by too short drive shaft--slip yoke extending too far, allowing too much "wobble". Oil on oil pan below harmonic balancer indicates front seal leak; Oil (as opposed to trans fluid) leaking from bell housing indicates rear main oil seal leak; I don't think the oil seeping from engine drain plug is blowing back to bell housing, as red circle shows; I thinks it's rear main oil seal still leaking.

your driveline wont like you when you put the shackle in

it will point your pinion skyward - a little more.

Budget for an SYE incase you need one - then it isnt an "oh shit - Credit Card!" deal...

xjbubba said:
First I'll comment on your drive-line angle; it looks like a standard single-Cardin u-joint at each end. If so, the angles are wrong. The angle of the transfer case output shaft should equal the pinion angle of the diff--or be ~1 or 2* low to allow for loading (should be equal angles under load). Your diff should "point" at your transfer case only if you have a double Cardin joint at the transfer case. Can't believe you have no vibes with the way it looks.
As far as the oil leaks go, it's an '89!! Not unusual for an engine/drive train that age to leak oil. Replace easy to change gaskets first then observe results. Auto trans fluid coming from bell housing indicates leaking front seal in auto trans. Leaking trans case fluid from slip yoke indicates leaking trans case output seal--possibly exacerbated by too short drive shaft--slip yoke extending too far, allowing too much "wobble". Oil on oil pan below harmonic balancer indicates front seal leak; Oil (as opposed to trans fluid) leaking from bell housing indicates rear main oil seal leak; I don't think the oil seeping from engine drain plug is blowing back to bell housing, as red circle shows; I thinks it's rear main oil seal still leaking.

Yeah I'm pretty vibeless. The only vibes I get are when I turn left (and only left) at high speed just a tad, I think that's a front U-Joint, and the ones I get from my mud tires. Would a Shim do it?

I have a 93 xj with a bastard pack netting 4.5 in the rear, and RE springs for the front. I do not have vibes either until i am hard brakeing. I took mine to a local 4x4 shop they said the angels where fine and not to even shim it. So no TC drop or any other problem solving. I know a SYE will be handy on trails where i need to articulate more but i built my XJ for " Worst case situation" Ice, low flooding. I dont plan on spending 400 $ on a SYE JMI

Back