• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 XJ Misfire Questions

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My brothers '01 XJ's check engine light has been on for a while so while he was back in town this weekend we hooked it up to an OBD-II Scanner. We got the code that means Cylinder 3 misfire. I thought it was possibly spark plugs so I changed out all 6 of those(PITA on '01s) and the light is still on.The spark plug "boots/wires" still look very clean. However another thing that is possibly related is that there is a lot of water dripping from the exhaust. Some from between the cat/muffler and some from the tailpipe? Would this be caused by the misfire? If not what could it be? What would be more suggestions for just fixing one cylinders misfire?
Thanks guys

As far as the water goes, if you're noticing it with a cold engine that is warming up, thats normal. Since water is a bi-product of internal combustion it will come out of the exhaust pipe and the tiny hole in the muffler. If you're dealing with a fully warmed engine, and its still doing it, you might have a slight problem.

I had a similar problem on my '00 XJ Sport with 4.0 engine. The problem, in my case, was one of the injector wires was shorting to ground and running that injector open all the time. Ran rough, poor mileage and Error Code P0202.

On mine, the wiring harness for the injectors was rubbing on the rear of the fuel rail and had cut through the plastic cover.

Pulled the harness up off the fuel rail and problem solved.

Hmm yeah the code we pulled was P0303 so similar to yours. I might take a look at his injector harness cause everything looks pretty tight in there. Wouldn't be surprised it they could have shorted somewhere. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Back