• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bent RE leaf spring

XJONABUDGET

NAXJA Member #980
I bent my right rear leaf spring on my last run. Its a 4.5" kit so it is the 3.5" spring. I called RE and they will not warranty it. SHould i just buy on spring or should i go with adifferent brand? is there any companys that will cover a bent spring? I dant wanna spend $150 for ONE spring and bend it again aithout warranty. This spring is bent along the length of it, kindof s shaped, not bent near the eye. Does bds cover bent springs? Thanks guys.

XJONABUDGET said:
I bent my right rear leaf spring on my last run. Its a 4.5" kit so it is the 3.5" spring. I called RE and they will not warranty it. SHould i just buy on spring or should i go with adifferent brand? is there any companys that will cover a bent spring? I dant wanna spend $150 for ONE spring and bend it again aithout warranty. This spring is bent along the length of it, kindof s shaped, not bent near the eye. Does bds cover bent springs? Thanks guys.
How did you bend it?
Anyways, you can call them and talk to them about getting just the main that they have from some other old pack. I did that to get a main so that I can put together one of the packs I bent during the rollover. I think it cost me $25 altogether (or so),

I did the exact same thing to mine last year...

Have you changed your setup recently?

The reason I ask is because I ran some 4.5" RE leafs for 6 years with no trouble on 33" tires and 3.55 gears. Last year I installed 4.56 gears, kept the same tires, and finished my stroker build up....first trip out I broke my passenger side pack...all six leafs sheared!!!! I figured it was due to an old pack combined with my new gears.

So I put in some new 3.5" RE leafs and managed to bend my passenger side first run out!!! Made a nice "S" shape. This was wheeling in Moab so the rock was super grippy which made for some horrible axle wrap with my lower gears and torquey motor. I never had those problems with my previous setup.

Generally I found the bad position to be a steep climb where all the weight was on the rear axle putting the front half of the rear leafs in compression...add some traction and a little axle wrap and you got some permanent deformation of your rear leafs.

So, if you don't have a traction bar I'd get one as your 4.88 gears are more than likely wrapping up those leaf packs pretty good.

Just a guess though.

thanks guys. I totally believe this problem is due to axle wrap. I will call RE back about getting a new main leaf as that is the only bent part. I do need to look into a traction bar, is there any companys that piece these together?

Well my RE Sproing story keeps getting better and better.

We went on a trail ride today (Eagle Rock for those of you in Colorado) and took it easy because of the trail conditions, traffic, the fact that my family was with me, and of course thats just the way I tend to drive my wifes DD on the trail. Three-quarters of the way up the trail I hear this Gawd-Awful noise from the back of the XJ. My first thoughts were that I had snapped an axle, grenaded my Power-Trax, or destroyed a driveshaft u-joint. Turned out the drivers side rear leaf spring eye came apart. The front section of the rear eye is M.I.A. It broke clean off at the top of the eye. The ride up the last part of the trail and back into town was exciting to say the least. I sure hope that RE steps up to plate and makes things right this time around. I'll post up when I know what they plan to do about this latest mess.

So far I'm not to impressed. :mad:

BDS will cover their springs...no questions asked, you would just need to send them back to BDS ( they check out every warranty return to see where it failed) theirs are military wraped and a pretty good spring, and for some reasone have a bad rap of riding rough, not true from what I've seen, they just need a break in...
XJONABUDGET I will let you know tommorow on those springs.
J

Back