• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bastard lift with yj leafs?

LA4RUNNER

NAXJA Forum User
I tried the search button buy came up with nothing concrete, Can I use stock yj leafs and make a spring pack for the rear on my xj ? Looking to get 3" to 4" of lift. I know I can use Dakota and S-10 springs but was just playing with the idea of yj leafs.Thanks for any help.

Also with one will give the best on road ride. S-10, Dakota, YJ 's ?

I mixed some RE 3.5xj's with some Skyjacker YJ 4" leaves and gout about 6" of lift - but the YJ centerpin is centered in the leaf pack, where the XJ is offset.

I spent probably $50 on drill bits re-drilling the center pin hole in spring steel.

and because the YJ 4" springs were so arched to start with, it doesnt flex the greatest.

I would guess that it would have the same effect as a short AAL - stiff and not very flexy, and wouldnt lift that much...

Given the oppurtunity to do it again - i wont.

YMMV

as for ride quality - i noticed no difference over the RE 3.5 pack - but that is probably atributable to the Procrap ES3000's that i am running front and rear.

here is a good thread to help understand what is going on with the leaf pack and all that -

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23381&highlight=leaf+spring

Last edited:
LA4RUNNER said:
Can I use stock yj leafs and make a spring pack for the rear on my xj ?

The answer is... Yes. The YJ springs are 2.5" wide, and matches your XJ springs.
However.. will this work good and the way you want it to, is the big question. This is a very hard question to answer. The possibilities are endless.. the only way to find the right answer is to experiment. Once you've made your pack.. you will see how easy it is to do and you will be able to quickly modify your packs again and again until you are happy.

I made a pack using CJ7 springs it works and floats my boat :)

LA4RUNNER said:
Can you give me some insite on the cj7 leafs?

Well, I didnt know if the cj7 springs I used were stock or not. It had a pretty good arc on them comparing to the stock XJ springs. The CJ7 leafs were thicker than the XJ ones, I think that gave it a higher spring rate. I finally got the height I wanted with using only 2 CJ7 springs in the XJ pack with one stock spring omited. I also extended my stock shackles.. this helps alot with droop and clearing the stock XJ shackle mount box, which the stock shackles will bind on.

XJ_ranger said:
but the YJ centerpin is centered in the leaf pack, where the XJ is offset.

I spent probably $50 on drill bits re-drilling the center pin hole in spring steel.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23381&highlight=leaf+spring
I picked up a set of YJ leafs for $20 and am going to try this method. as for the offset, I'm going to line up the holes and cut the excess off the yj springs to make them symetrical

Back