• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 60 pros and cons

xray

NAXJA Member #1056
Heres the deal. I got a dana 60 that was in a bronco. This was built pretty good. It has some upgraded sommers axles, detroit. I dont care about the 6 lug aspect of it. I know it is a little wider but that is not a problem. I also know about the clearance. Let me hear something that is really a problem. Is a really beefy rear all that bad. I got this thing and I want to do something cool as hell with it. I did a search and found little on the subject ( as soon as I say that Im sure Ill get some info that will make me wrong).

First off, is it a semi-float or full-float axle?

Full floaters have some strength advantages (the spindles allow for if you broke a shaft, to continue on without the wheel falling off) But are normally 30 spline... they can be upgraded to 35 splines. Semifloaters are normally 35 splines, can be built with 40 spline stuff at extra cost. Either one is a crapload beefier than any D44 or Ford 8.8.

Odd that it's 6 lug... I thought Fords had 5 on 5.5" :dunno: If yours is a semifloat, it's maybe possible to redrill the axle flanges for 5 on 5.5" or 4.5", Unclear if the brakes would allow using your present wheels.

The loss of clearance issue can be addressed by shaving the housing and ring gear... with this, it'll clear rocks about like a D44 will. Add a truss/bridge thingy and it will be rigid too.

It has 35 spline axles. It is not a full floater. It has one piece axles that are non c clip. It started its life as a floater from a one ton truck. The float stuff was removed, the tubes were cut and new flanges were welded on. It has some really beefy shafts from Sommers. That is all I know about it at this time. Ihave seen it in action but I never saw it apart. I do know that it is a quality piece and it is in great shape. I was planning on shaving it a bit for a little clearance. I will also put some disks on it but I have to wait until I return to the states to see what I will do about that. Now I have to get rid of my rubi front 44 and find a nice hp 44 to replace that.

Back