• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yukon gears pinion depth

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I got my gears and was under the impression that the gears should be stamped
+2 or -2 something of that nature right..then I add or subtract shims to attain the corect depth..

so I open my gears and this is what I see

Jeep%20parts.jpg

3/2 wtf???

Just add a cup of detergent and use cold water.

It is usually engraved on the head of the pinion. Not real easy to see.

Do a good visual for any numbers engraved anywhere on the pinion. These numbers might be absolute numbers, not relative. I can't remember the standard distance is. I just start with what ever was on the old pinion and go from there. I've found you can't trust number from manufacturer to manufacturer and many times not ever.

312 is the match set. youll find the same number on the od of the ring gear. that keeps the pair together.
2.261 is the true pinion depth measured from perpendicular of the center of the carrier to that surface. I wanna say its a -4.
thats the thing about setting up a blind axle. that is one without gears in it. you have to make an edjucated guess on the correct pinion depth and backlash. while there are standard specs, good luck finding them. I caught alot of things that I either read in a mag or something, and tried them with poor results.
if your taking a geaset out, then use its shims as a starting point. most of the time I only need to adjust the backlash and maybe a few thou in the pinion depth.
email me direct or even give me a call and I can help you through the install.
usually the base starting point for a Dana 30 is the .030 slinger pressed on the pinion, the .020 baffle under the bearing cup and another .030-.032 shim under the bearing cup.

Dana gears are marked that way,most aftermarket gears are marked to the "true" pinion depth.

Rawbrown said:
312 is the match set. youll find the same number on the od of the ring gear. that keeps the pair together.
2.261 is the true pinion depth measured from perpendicular of the center of the carrier to that surface. I wanna say its a -4.

yea now tha I look at it it does look like a 1
and yes the ring gear does have a 312 on it

duhhhh
thanx for the help

next set of gears I will get a pinion depth tool from summit..
this time It will be hit and miss

OH well

don't bother with that pinion depth tool. I tried using it once... once. I do pleanty of axles and using your old shims as a starting point is much easier.
VegasAnthony said:
yea now tha I look at it it does look like a 1
and yes the ring gear does have a 312 on it

duhhhh
thanx for the help

next set of gears I will get a pinion depth tool from summit..
this time It will be hit and miss

OH well

Rawbrown said:
don't bother with that pinion depth tool. I tried using it once... once. I do pleanty of axles and using your old shims as a starting point is much easier.

So you are saying the guys plunkin down $300 for the tool at randys are wasting moeny..

Iv ehave read that the clamshell isnt all that great aslo

I used my 12 ton press an the HF bearing remover and it was a piece of cake ..
I trashed a couple of the shims but then again I aint gonna use em anyhow..I can still measure thickness but some of the edges got bent,,, no biggie

Hey RB tommoro expect some pics of gear patters :exclamati

actually the clamshell is well worth it if you are doing gears on a regular basis. I use the crap outta mine.
don't know about the expensive pinion depth tool, but the summit one was a waste for me.

Back