• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

measuring lift

AZ XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've read that a stock xj should be 17" from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the fender flare, however if this is true, than I am at 7 1/2" and 8 1/2" front and rear with my 4.5" rustys lift. This cant be right...can anybody offer me some insight into this?

no thats about right. my rustys 3" full springs sits round 6. it takes quite a while for the springs to settle. im happy i got more lift than i ordered.. i dunno bout you tho

wow, I figured that it would sit a little higher at first, and I was even hoping that it would sit about an inch higher than the rated spring height, but 3 & 4 inches is quite a bit higher

An extra 3-4" sounds like a lot but then again, I don't know how Rusty's springs tend to run.

After driving around for 3 or 4 weeks, loosen up the rear bolts on the rear spring and bounce it a bunch of times by standing on the back bumper and jumping or whatever else you can think of. Then tighten the bolts back up. This takes some pressure off the spring and the bushing that occurs when going through a breakin period.

When I replaced my rear springs a few years ago, I was 2 1/2" over stock (with medium duty stock springs). After a few months I was back down to exactly stock height.

Stock is 17.5" front and 17" rear.

They'll settle. My RE springs did eventually...after hauling some heavy trail crap around.

I guess I'll just have to keep driving it and wheeling it....the lift has only been on for about 3 weeks and has roughly 400 miles on it, and I've just done some light duty desert wheeling. I'm gonna try and get some weight ....cement bags, or sand bags, or the like ....in the back to see if that does anything for me. I'm also getting ready to do a PORC sye with a stock front ds, so I'm hoping that the ds will be long enough. Thanks for the advice...keep it comin!

DDCxj said:
An extra 3-4" sounds like a lot but then again, I don't know how Rusty's springs tend to run.

After driving around for 3 or 4 weeks, loosen up the rear bolts on the rear spring and bounce it a bunch of times by standing on the back bumper and jumping or whatever else you can think of. Then tighten the bolts back up. This takes some pressure off the spring and the bushing that occurs when going through a breakin period.

When I replaced my rear springs a few years ago, I was 2 1/2" over stock (with medium duty stock springs). After a few months I was back down to exactly stock height.

Thanks for the tip man, I'll give it a shot

Back