• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BB with 31s...

Stonycar

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys! Im finally doing a budget boost of around 2.5" in a week or two. I ordered a set of 31/10.50-15 BFG ATs and theyre gonna be on my stock ecco rims. I know that 31s will probably rub on the LCAs so i just want your opinion on what should i do to eliminate that problem. ITs a 99XJ and I dont want to go for new steel rims cauz i love my stock wheels. So my 2 last options would be to buy wheel spacers or adjust the steering stop. Should I throw in the money for spacers and have em for future 32s on the same wheels or go for adjusting the steering stoppers?? And is that somethin hard to do? Thx a lot guys

I wouldn't do spacers. Get some aftermarket lower control arms, that should help a bit, that and adj your steering stops. The ecco rims are nice, I'm looking for a set for my ZJ to replace my Canyon rims.

Troy

Stonycar said:
Ok guys! Im finally doing a budget boost of around 2.5" in a week or two. I ordered a set of 31/10.50-15 BFG ATs and theyre gonna be on my stock ecco rims. I know that 31s will probably rub on the LCAs so i just want your opinion on what should i do to eliminate that problem. ITs a 99XJ and I dont want to go for new steel rims cauz i love my stock wheels. So my 2 last options would be to buy wheel spacers or adjust the steering stop. Should I throw in the money for spacers and have em for future 32s on the same wheels or go for adjusting the steering stoppers?? And is that somethin hard to do? Thx a lot guys

The rub won't be too bad on the LCA with the stock rims. Try it before you do anything.

you could replace your lca's with wj lca's they have a bend that will allow them not to rub, i havent done this but am considering it

red_01_xj said:
you could replace your lca's with wj lca's they have a bend that will allow them not to rub, i havent done this but am considering it

x2 that, but the WJ CAs bushings will need some shaving down to fit the XJ pockets.

I just put 31x10.50's on my '91 with a BB and stock LCA's and lost minimal turning radius. It really isn't a very noticeable difference. But then again, everyone told me I would have to trim and I didn't have to trim a single thing.

I ran 31x10.5's on stock rims for a while,
and theres was only little rubbing,
but i did it to an '88 so its probly a little different with the newer ones.

Last edited:
Chero-King said:
I ran 31x10.5's on stock rims for a while,
and theres was only little rubbing,
but i did it to an '88 so its probly a little different with the newer ones.

I only noticed the minimal steering loss when I was in a parking lot pulling in and out of spaces but again it was very minimal.

Thank you guys. With that info I think Ill go with aftermarket LCAs maybe next spring. AS for the spacers, ill probably have to get some next summer when ill buy new 32s thats if it rub even withnew LCAs... Thx again

The reason the guys are suggesting WJ LCAs is because they have an inward bend in them allowing for larger tires without rubbing and without adding spacers or changing backspacing. Aftermarket LCAs, by themselves, will not help in this respect.

Timber said:
The reason the guys are suggesting WJ LCAs is because they have an inward bend in them allowing for larger tires without rubbing and without adding spacers or changing backspacing. Aftermarket LCAs, by themselves, will not help in this respect.

Do you think that the bend in WJ LCAsis enough to fit 32s on stock rim without rubbin?

Stonycar said:
If you space the rims out, it's the same as running rims with less backspacing. You'll create the problem of the tires not stuffing up into the fenders when the suspension compresses.

Much better to either shim the steering stops, or just learn where the rubbing starts and train yourself not to turn that sharply.

No, I don't know--yet. A guy on one of the other forums is supposed to contact me this weekend or sometime soon (he's away in college) about sending me a pair. In the meantime, check out www.madxj.com Go to Technical, then to WJ Lower Control Arms. There is a good write up there, but it's mentioned that it's being done to fit 235s. I don't see why they'd be needed for 29" tires. My 235s fit with no rubbing anywhere, even disconnected and stuffed, on my '99.

EDIT--Darn it, Eagle! You keep beating me on posting today by about 3-4 minutes!

I don't rub at all with 31's on a BB, but I'm running cheap wheels with 4" of BS.
PICT0255.jpg

My 31" BFG A/T's rubbed plenty on the LCA's with stock wheels. Those sidewall lugs just loved to grab the arms. I ended up getting a set of 15x8 Pro-Comp wheels to solve the issue, but now I see that Rusty's sells custom LCA's similar to the WJ LCA's, except I'm assuming they fit without any extra work. It would appear that some aftermarket LCA's have a narrower profile and thus would not rub as bad as the stock arms, although that's just a guess. I suppose the turning radius I lost with the stock wheels was not a huge amount, but I definitely missed it. Wish I would've tried something other than buying new wheels.

Back