• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering capacity

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
ok, how much fluid will I need? I just picked up 4qts, but I don't know if it's enough: it looks like more than enough but the FSM doesn't seem to list the capacity?

Kejtar said:
Yeah, but what bout the steering gear?

Remi...you should be good with 4...unless your gonna flush...then I'd recommend 1-2 more quarts.

Gear could only handle about 1-1.5 quarts at best...IIRC.

red91inWA said:
Remi...you should be good with 4...unless your gonna flush...then I'd recommend 1-2 more quarts.

Gear could only handle about 1-1.5 quarts at best...IIRC.
I used up 2 quarts. Couldn't figure out a reasonable way to drain the steering gear so I drained the pump, filled it, let it cycle, drained the pump, filled it....... and 2 quarts later the fluid looks somewhat reasonable. I might wait 2 weeks and drain and refill the pump one more time.

Thats what I was trying to say with mine. I use a mighty vac and empty the tank every so often. It sure made the slight buzz/whine go away. with 190K it must be getting tired. Seems the fluid gets dirty within 6K or so.

dyna said:
Thats what I was trying to say with mine. I use a mighty vac and empty the tank every so often. It sure made the slight buzz/whine go away. with 190K it must be getting tired. Seems the fluid gets dirty within 6K or so.
Judging by the look of my fluid it was ORIGINAL :eek:

Back