• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any one run thier Jeep w/o a fan shroud?

LoneRanger

NAXJA Forum User
I havent had the electric fan in since I replaced my radiator and water pump, just currious if anyone runs with out the shroud around the fan?

I have been debating taking it off and putting the electric fan back in, my fan blades hit the plastic shroud sometimes and it makes a hella annoying noise under the hood!

L.R.

It will significantly reduce you cooling capacity at an idle or at very low speeds. At highway speeds it will actually help it.

thats why I was thinking of putting the electric back in there to replace the shroud around the mechanical fan.

I just replaced the entire cooling system so I think* I should be ok~

thoughts?

L.R.

If your fan blades are hitting the shroud, then something is out of whack. Check your motor mounts and trans mount for starters.

I'm running a 3/4 shroud, the bottom part broke off but left the two tabs so it drops straight in.

I have a later model electric fan in my 89. I have it hooked up to a toggle and I use it as needed. I also went with the closed system, all oem parts, and I have no fan shroud. The 4.0 motor is also rebuilt with about 2-3000 mils on it.

I never have any issues with over heating weather it is idleing on the trail or in traffic. I also live in Fort Worth, where all summer it has been HOT. Hell, yesterday it finnaly got the highs below 90.

Maybe, I am just lucky though. The only thing I can suggest is try it. If you notice a difference for the worse put it back on.

Also, if your fan is hitting the shroud, something is not right to begin with. That should be adressed whether you keep the shroud or not. HTH

small pice of info on my part, its hitting cause I cut it in half on the lower section to get it BACK on (to clear the new radiator) :D, so it's a little "loose" down there.... lol

i think i'll give it shot and go from there.

L.R.

About a 1/3 of my shroud broke off on top.. It's mostly ok, just OK, but passes 210 in stop & go traffic with the a/c on.

Elias

I had no shroud for awhile (old one broke) and it scared me! Those blades sure like to jump out at you and almost bit your fingers.

I picked up a new one at the dealer, if I recall list is only $20.

Also, if you're hitting get new motor mounts from MORE or rawbrown.com and be done with it. Forget OEM units!

GSequoia said:
I had no shroud for awhile (old one broke) and it scared me! Those blades sure like to jump out at you and almost bit your fingers.

I picked up a new one at the dealer, if I recall list is only $20.

Also, if you're hitting get new motor mounts from MORE or rawbrown.com and be done with it. Forget OEM units!

As Bill Engvall says, Here's your sign :stupid your not supposed to have the engine running when checking belt tension... :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:

I got intruppted on the post before, my shroud broke off on the bottom 1/4, left the two tabs though so it still sits tight. I did buy a new one, just have not put it on yet, I think it was $22 and if you buy one check the box, they break kind of easy in the box from bending and crushing and my dealer parts guy said he sends almost half of them back because the XJ's are so thin...
Oh I noticed NO change in temps with that bottom piece missing at all.

Back