• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Info on steering column lower bearing??

Bender

NAXJA Forum User
The lower bearing in the steering column of my 88 XJ has a lot of play in it. It is the GM style tilt column.

Has anyone ever changed this?

I have limited time to change it so I'm looking for info on how hard the bearing was to remove...any special tools required? Was the bearing a typical bearing that can be purchased at the local bearing supplier or some special unit?

Thanks

I've got the same thing going right now, too. My biggest problem is my cage is kinda in the way, so the lower dash needs to be cut out to drop the column. Ouch.

Hopefully somebody has some info.

Rick

if its like a yj, the brg is fitted to a plastic retainer. you have to remove column from jeep, remove the snap ring, then work the brg and retainer off of shaft. the brg is a tight fit to retainer. the first couple i did i broke the retainer getting the brg off. i discovered that if you heat it slightly with a heat gun (hair dryer) you can use a flat blade screwdriver to pop brg off, then quickly push new brg on by hand before retainer cools down. hope this helps, good luck. btw, the retainer only fits one way to outer housing. i think the brg is dealer only.

Back