• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camshaft ID

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
The engine that I got *might* have a cam in it; I'd like to find out.

Are camshafts stamped someplace easy where I can ID it, hopefully without having to remove it!

I'll be tearing into the engine this weekend (inspection and seals); I intend to have the oil pan off as well as the head. I could remove the timing chain cover as well.

Second question actually.. Do you really need the alignment tool to put the timing chain cover on and the front crank seal in? (I intend to change it)

Thanks

1. I have seen some that have a part number stamped on the end of the cam. I don't remember seeing anthing on the Crane I have now. It is easy to degree the cam and find out what is in there though. With the head off it's even easier (dial indicator on the piston to to find TDC).

2. I didn't use one and I remember thinking about that. It's been to long for my feeble mind. Can't remember cursing to much during that part so it must have not been that big of deal.

Back