• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

some guy told me somthing crazy!

Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
alright, I ran into some guy with a nice lifted wrangler. we started talking and I told him about what I'm doin with my rig. I mentioned some Ideas about 31" tires and 4:11 gearing. He told me that he had a freind that had a cherokee just like mine and said that he put 4:11 gearing w/ 31" tires and couldnt make it over 60mph. Is he full of crap or is he right. I really need my rig to be a daily driver. do I even need to re-gear at all? if I do need to re-gear, what gearing should I use to keep it normal.

thanks ahead of time.

Johan

dee dee dee 4.56s!

I just swapped my 3.07 axles out for 3.73s (4.0 HO with AX15) and the gearing is perfect for highway driving on 31" tires. restores the gearing to more or less what it was with stock axles and tires 4.11 would be better for 'wheelin' though.

i have 4.56 and when i had 33's i had hit 80 once or twice. that guy didnt have a clue. either that or they didnt relize there was another gear to shift into

Jeeper said:
Great! thanks guys, I thought that he was full of crap but I wasnt too sure.
I really really appritiate it

Johan
He was not really full of crap.. think about it, they put three engines in the XJ, my cousin had the 2.5 with 31's (comes stock with 4:10's) + automatic tranny...
top speed was about 55 - 65 on the hwy, (granted he never changed his speedo so that was around 61 - 77mph but all in the same.
the guy could have just had his facts crooked when he said "just like yours"

hmmm, that's weird, lol. i donno, I have 4.56's and 35's with a 37 tooth speedo and can hit 95-100 no problem.

53guy said:
hmmm, that's weird, lol. i donno, I have 4.56's and 35's with a 37 tooth speedo and can hit 95-100 no problem.
so you have the 2.5?
my cousins was very doggy, with the little engine and auto trans. 4.10's were just not enought to push 31's... (the engine was beat too. over 200k mi)

quantico? USMC?
what color is your jeep? hehehe I have visited our jobsite on the base there... (the mud on it that is)

muduck18 said:
so you have the 2.5?
my cousins was very doggy, with the little engine and auto trans. 4.10's were just not enought to push 31's... (the engine was beat too. over 200k mi)

quantico? USMC?
what color is your jeep? hehehe I have visited our jobsite on the base there... (the mud on it that is)

No, sorry, forgot to mention, I have a 4.0L with K&N cone filter, Flowmaster SUV muffler, 2.25" pipe from header back, Doug Thorley header.

Black 99 xj, 6" FT lift, 35's, stickers on the rear and back side windows. Yeah, I'm a Marine CH-53E Mechanic/Crew Chief here on Quantico and yeah there are a ton of mud holes and trails to run out there. the only problem is that you can't get to them sometimes because they lock the gates or you go down them and someone comes behind you and locks the gates, so you always have to carry bolt cutters, lol, (or be brave with a tow strap and chains and pull it out) Take a look at my jeep, you'll see the pictures on my homepage.

while I got a thread going about gearing, I have a question. I just got this danna 44 from some guy over in ohio and it has a welded carrier. I would like to Identify what gears are in it. all I know is that you can count the teeth on the spline or somthing.

Thanks,
Johan

Jeeper said:
while I got a thread going about gearing, I have a question. I just got this danna 44 from some guy over in ohio and it has a welded carrier. I would like to Identify what gears are in it. all I know is that you can count the teeth on the spline or somthing.

Thanks,
Johan
count up the teeth on the pinion and then on the ring gear and then divide...

oh and search... that's easy...

Back