• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

longer shocks with a bb lift?

snow276

NAXJA Forum User
hi im new to the off-roading world. i just recently lifted my stock xj with spacers and shackles. my question is should i be running longer shocks?

If you did not extend bumpstops, keep the same shocks unless they are shot. Using shocks as bumpstops by mistake is not the best.

Ideal would be a slight extension of both bumpstops and shocks but still depends on tires, trimming, etc.

That said, you really have to experiment with what works for you and your terrain. Play with it now and enjoy it and learn.

Last edited:
Iam still running the stock length Rancho 5000's on mine(' 99) with a Daystar BB. (1-3/4)
They are working ok for me. Allthough I dont know if they are limiting my flex.
Thought I heard someone say a while back that Rancho lists the same ones for up to 2".

Get some cheap BPE's like the ones from RRO (rocky road outfitters) for all four shocks. That will give you about an extra inch and that should be "okay" for a bb setup.

Budget boost meaning about a 2" lift?

The Monroe/Rancho engineers recommend using stock length shocks up to (and including) 3" of lift. If you run longer shocks with a 2" budget boost, you MUST extend your bump stops or you'll bottom out the shocks, and that will kill them in short order.

You're better off staying with the stock shocks and using the money on other toys.

I ran stock shocks with a bb on my 97 & 96. They were fine. My son has stock lenght shocks on his 92 with a 3" lift. JIM.

Back