• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual window regulators

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
Been having problems with my front windows. One can only go down to about 2-3" from the bottom or it'll get stuck, the other is getting stiffer and stiffer.
I've have replacements to put in, one form a '93, one from a '96.
What is the easiest way to put these in and get the old one out? Is there a trick to it?
Any help is appreciated.
TIA

Hmm, I know how you feel - I've just done mine. It was actually quite a simple job. You'll need to remove your door card and use a torx bit to release the glass from the regulator mechanism. The main problem you'll have is getting the new mechanism in without either bending it or removing one of the 2 strengthening plates that are riveted to the rest of the door. I ended up having to remove one to get the new one in - it was OK to do with a dremel.

Beware the edges of the metalwork too - they're really sharp!

cykaaro said:
Been having problems with my front windows. One can only go down to about 2-3" from the bottom or it'll get stuck, the other is getting stiffer and stiffer.
TIA
I had the same trouble with mine several weeks ago, and I just got in there and sprayed the tracks down with WD40. Now they work great, like new.

Suprisingly simple once you figure exactly what you're doing.

My doors are from an '86 as we got them when the truck was still in Seattle, and no rust. The passengr side I just finished today as well as changing the lock on that side. Going to do the drivers' side tomorrow.
I put a '96 regulator in the passenger side, and will be using one from a '93 in the drivers door. The biggest difference I noticed is the donor ones are screwed in, not riveted which makes it much eaiser. After pulling everything off of the door, and peeling back the soundloc I have on, I carefull cut the plastic a bit larger than I had it [in order to be able to tape it back up when done] I stated by caerfully undoing the nut that holds the window to the harness, and pulling the window up, careful not to let it slide down and break. Putting duct-tape over the door frame to keep it up may be a good idea. Once this is done, I simple took my cordless drill and drilled out the six rivets keep it in place. As well, the small silver metal piece that splits the open area in two, I drilled the bottom one out only so it would swing up. Once this is accomplished, I undid the 10mm bolt that holds the rail in place so that the handle mechanism can be worked out. Once this is complete, it's actually short work of getting it out.

Putting it in is simply doing the same process backward pretty much.Before I did so, I made sure I sprayed it with white lithium lubricant. Once in place, I tighten the 10mm bolt, and then with the new bolts I bought [M4 x 1/2" I think] I tacked the regulator into place.I then attached the window to the regulator. Once everything looked good, I tightened the bolts. Then sprayed the bottoem of the rails as well, and tested it. Everything so far works fine. To reattach the small metal bracket, I just swung it back down into place, and put a bolt/nut on it. That was about it. Just had to change the lock on it, then tape the plastic back up, put the soundloc back on, and then put the interior back on.

Tomorrow should go a lot smoother now that I know exactly what I'm doing.

Back