• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maybe a stupid Q about BB lift...

MyJeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Im about to order a BB lift, so I have a question before it gets here. The spacer up front for the coil spring, how is it held in place? Ive seen a few XJs that drop during articulation and I would think it could "pop out".

Just curious,
TIA.. Andrew

MyJeepXJ said:
Im about to order a BB lift, so I have a question before it gets here. The spacer up front for the coil spring, how is it held in place? Ive seen a few XJs that drop during articulation and I would think it could "pop out".

Just curious,
TIA.. Andrew

You won't have enough flex with a BB to worry about it. $hit, I have a lot of flex/travel and it isn't an issue.

Don't worry about it.

The block is installed above the spring (between the spring and the spring perch).

The springs are only held in on the bottom so IF you have enough flex to drop the spring out of the perch it is possible to alow the block to move, but it can not come out because it is held in place by the bump stop in the center of the spring.

As stated so poorly before, you will not have enough flex with a BB to worry about it. Even if you did have enough flex it is still held in place.

Michael

Like the above Posts said,
Its not an issue, I though about that too when I had a BB in mine but I later realized It wont drop, because of the bump stops and a BB will not flex enough to drop the spacer out.

Thanx, I was curious, I really need to just go LOOK at the suspension setup of the XJ so it makes more sense. Im still learning, thanks for being patient with me!!

Andrew

MyJeepXJ said:
Thanx, I was curious, I really need to just go LOOK at the suspension setup of the XJ so it makes more sense.
To install the BB spacers, you need to remove the coil springs from the tower. The spacers are then slid (aka forced with much persuasion and lubrication) onto the tower. When they are complete, you reinstall the coil. Note the height of the tower - that's a 1.75" tall spacer. You won't flex enough to drop the spring, and the spacer is a bear to remove in the garage anyway.

spacer.jpg

Yucca-Man said:
the spacer is a bear to remove in the garage anyway.
When I took mine off I greased up the tower & still had to use a pry bar to get them started. After that I just wiggled & twisted them until they came off. You'll have nothing to worry about. JIM.

Yucca, thanx tons, that picture explains EVERYTHING. Im not used to seeing coil springs on towers like that.

I cant wait to order my lift! Thanks again for everyones help!
Andrew

Do you have to leave the stock isolator on when doing this type of lift? If so is it ok to put it on the bottom of the spacer? Im not trying to tread jack I just wasn't sure and thought my jeep xj may benifit from this also.

black93xj said:
Do you have to leave the stock isolator on when doing this type of lift? If so is it ok to put it on the bottom of the spacer? Im not trying to tread jack I just wasn't sure and thought my jeep xj may benifit from this also.
Yeah, what he said... good question, thanx for axing!! :)

Maybe another stupid Q, but any advice on removing the coil so I can do the install, before I get into the middle of it and get stuck?

Andrew

Everyone seems to have their own personal favorite method. If you get a good (aka non-banged up) set of strut compressors on the loan-a-tool program from your favorite parts store make sure they have the safety that clamps on the coil. With this style, you can get the coil off without dsconnecting the control arms or trackbar.

Others remove at least one control arm, or the trackbar, or...whatever it takes to move the axle at least a few more inches down.

Yucca-Man said:
Everyone seems to have their own personal favorite method. If you get a good (aka non-banged up) set of strut compressors on the loan-a-tool program from your favorite parts store make sure they have the safety that clamps on the coil. With this style, you can get the coil off without dsconnecting the control arms or trackbar.

Others remove at least one control arm, or the trackbar, or...whatever it takes to move the axle at least a few more inches down.

I remove the trackbar and I have plenty of room to pull a coil.

Back