• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

occasional no start in Park

Daveisdabomb

NAXJA Forum User
so my 93 XJ automatic, occasionally won't start in Park. Actually, if I wiggle the gear shift a little, then it will start or if I put it in neutral it will start. Is that the neutral safety switch going out? How hard/easy to replace?

Have you tried pulling and cleaning your switch? Mine was shifting hard and after a good cleaning it shifted smooth again

Clean it.

Do a search and you'll find a write up on how to do it.

Be careful you don't loose parts when you take the switch apart. The insides are usualy gooed up with old grease. But, when I took my second apart. it was dry. One of the contacts that are spring-loaded popped out. It took me about an hour to find it in the carpet. Now I take them apart with the switch in a thin plastic bag, to contain the parts. Just get a large clear bag, like a dry cleaning bag and put the switch and your hands inside it.

Daveisdabomb said:
cool, must be a common thing, found 2 write-ups on it. I just wasn't sure if it was the neutral safety switch or not.
thanks!

From what you describe, the NSS is the culprit.
It is very simple to take off and clean.
You mention that you found 2 write-ups on it so I guess that you are good to go.
I did mine in an hour. The dealer wanted 250.00 labor and about the same in parts = $500.00.
DOing it myself, 1 hours work and a couple of bucks for dielectric grease and I have ben fine for 3 years or so.

HTH
Jeff-97XJ

Back