• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE leaf packs

Jeepkid88

NAXJA Forum User
With all my supplies for wheeling (about 250lbs.) the rear of my cherokee sags badly, even without any weight it is at, or below level. I have the 3.5" leaf packs, and I was wondering if I could add the main leaf from an S-10/Dakota to keep the rear close to level, or are the RE leaf packs unfriendly to modification, has anyone else done this?

yea you could do that, even the first 2 leafs from a stock pack would be enough if im not mistaken

VegasAnthony said:

Is it somehow bad to add a shackle that will allow more flex, get him an inch of lift? I would rather see that than adding a few leafs that will stiffen up the rear and make it flex less than it already did.......

Jeepkid88 said:
I already have the RE lift shackle. :( And blocks are not an option.

I know this has been been to death, but what do you think about a small 1" block if I just need that extra little inch to level things out? Right now I am perfectly level, but after some ACOS some day, I won't be. I have the RE3.5 superFLEX and I have always wished the back flexed more, it just seems adding any extra leaves would make it worse.

Jason

RE 3.5 rear springs will net you about 4.5 inches...i did the 3.5 and 1.25 shackles from them and have 6 inches in the rear unloaded.

They are sweet.

Jeepkid88 said:
Maybe a 1 inch block wouldn't be so bad...
I may have to do the same thing... I just put a brand new set of RE 4.5s on mine, and they seemed a bit too tall at first. After just one trip on some pretty mild trails and less than 100 miles on the odo, they are have sagged considerably. I hope they stop soon... I have a RigidCo rear bumper on order, and I don't know for sure what it weighs, but I know it won't be light!

I sure wouldn't want any taller than 1" blocks though... Not sure what I'll do if that's not enough.

raneil said:
I may have to do the same thing... I just put a brand new set of RE 4.5s on mine, and they seemed a bit too tall at first. After just one trip on some pretty mild trails and less than 100 miles on the odo, they are have sagged considerably. I hope they stop soon... I have a RigidCo rear bumper on order, and I don't know for sure what it weighs, but I know it won't be light!

I sure wouldn't want any taller than 1" blocks though... Not sure what I'll do if that's not enough.
did you measure how much they "sagged" ? you got the 4.5in lift springs? I got the 4.5in kit (3.5 springs + 1.75 shacles) and I have "sagged" to 5.5in of lift in the back with a TON of crap in there... just wondering...

btw S-10 leafs are also good for adding beef to a leaf pack... i think they might be thicker than the dakoda's but i am not sure..

Last edited:
muduck18 said:
did you measure how much they "sagged" ? you got the 4.5in lift springs? I got the 4.5in kit (3.5 springs + 1.75 shacles) and I have "sagged" to 5.5in of lift in the back with a TON of crap in there... just wondering...

btw S-10 leafs are also good for adding beef to a leaf pack... i think they might be thicker than the dakoda's but i am not sure..
Yes, these are the 4.5" springs. The shackles were on the rig when I bought it, so I don't know for sure how tall they are. I think they are 1" or 1.5".

Foolishly, I did not take any measurements. The Jeep was sitting pretty level when I brought it home from the shop that did the install. Now, it's sagging a little. I want to give it some more time to see how it all flushes out before makinging any additional mods.

Jeepkid88 said:
I think I might call Rubicon Express and see what they recommend.
Not a bad idea. But I still would prefer to wait and see if they continue to settle even more... I fear it may still be in progress. Hopefully not, though...

raneil said:
Not a bad idea. But I still would prefer to wait and see if they continue to settle even more... I fear it may still be in progress. Hopefully not, though...
You said that yours came back level from the shop? hmm strange...
Mine still is not level...
I have 4.5 coils upfront. and it's leaning way front. the front is about 4.5 and the back is about 5.5 after a year of heavy wheeling... and 30k road miles... sounds like you have the 3.5 leafs and the 5.5 front springs... or somthing...

makes me wonder why mine would hold up so well if yours didn't i have over 300lbs of bumper,skid,speaker, tools, spare, swingout, and over gage floor... and it's not sagging down to what the lift height was supposed to be...

No, my coils are 6.5" -- or so the previous owner told me. That looks about right, too. No spacers.

The rears are 4.5" RE spring packs (unless the shop received the wrong springs from RE or something--I doubt it).

It's not a disaster (yet) by any stretch of the imagination. I fully expected some settling. In my mind, that's just normal for leaf springs. My concern is that we may not have accounted for that adequately (or they settled more than ususal for some reason), and I may simply have needed taller springs to begin with. We'll get it dialed in... :wierd:

Were yours brand new when you installed them? Did they settle some?

Yep brand spankin new when I put them in, they settled down alot. probebly almost 2 inches... down to around 5.5 that is but now they are very flexy, and still holding stedy at 5.5 even with all the weight in the back..
yeah i would be happy to put another 2 in block in the front or get some 5.5 coils to get the front level with the back. but for now my wife says we have to eat and pay rent and stuff... what the???
anyway...
they will settle some but they did all the settleing they were going to do in the first 2? months or so... then for the last 11 months almost a year they have been stedy where they are.

That's good to hear, and pretty much in line with what I was expecting... except maybe the part about two whole inches... We'll see. It should be realtively easy to deal with once it's finished settling. Just gotta drive it for a while like it is...

not to hi jack this thread but i have a similar problem/question...

I have the RE 3.5 packs with jks lift shackles. I lost the overload leaf on one pack so I removed it from the other as well for equal flex (Long story how that happenned). I lost a little lift height but not much from that. I since have added a heavy duty bumper in the rear and lost more height. Has anyone added RE's 2.5" add-a-leaf into their pack to get more lift height? I am not adding a block as I don't need anymore axle wrap.

Also Rusty's has a helper leaf and a short add-a-leaf.... thoughts on those instead.... looking for 1-2 inches of lift

Back