• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which synthetic gear oil

which synthetic gear lube?

• redline

Votes: 16 12.7%
  • mobil 1

Votes: 53 42.1%
  • amsoil

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • valvoline

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • other - please specify

Votes: 19 15.1%

• Total voters

METAL MONKEY

NAXJA Forum User
i'm almost done with my gear break-in, and was wondering which oil to put in. i have an arb f/r, and redline syn. was reccommended to me by the installer. i'm going to run 75w90 also.

I vote other.

I love Schaeffer's synthetic oils.

Several reasons.

I believe they are as good as, if not better lubricants.

I can get their entire line of full synthetic oils for less than half of the rest locally.

If you can get it in CO, get it.

HTH

I got valvoline and so far it's been working out great. Originally I put in valvoline semi synth and then I scored @ Kragen a pail (5 gallons) of full synthetic for $25 (or so). I've been running it ever since :D

I would just use the cheapest synth you can find. I guess I'll accept that synth is better than dino, but I don't think that a 30% difference in price between synths is indicative of a 30% increase in performance.
Plus, I always manage to sink my axles so I'm always changing out gear oil anyway.

Kejtar said:
I got valvoline and so far it's been working out great. Originally I put in valvoline semi synth and then I scored @ Kragen a pail (5 gallons) of full synthetic for $25 (or so). I've been running it ever since :D

Do you want to sell some of that gear oil? I'm interested. I like to change the oil frequently, especially after a Fordyce run through the deep river crossings. Let me know. I could use a good amount, my 9" is thirsty. :laugh3:

Troy

Big Red said:
Do you want to sell some of that gear oil? I'm interested. I like to change the oil frequently, especially after a Fordyce run through the deep river crossings. Let me know. I could use a good amount, my 9" is thirsty. :laugh3:

Troy
Actually I'll keep it :D

Jeffro600 said:
CAll me crazy, but ive use plain ol' non synthetic gear oil for years and never had any problems...am i missing something here?? :wierd:

I've used Mobil 1 when I got my arb in my 30 and detroit in my rear 44, but after my most recent build of hp44/35 spline 9" etc, I use regular oil because I like to change it out alot. Now if only I could find a nice and quick way to drain the 9", then I'd be good to go. I go through some deep water though on the Fordyce trail here in Northern California, so changing and checking your vehicle fluids is a good idea.

Troy

i have started using synthetic in my block (175K), but synthetic in the diffs is a bit of a headscratcher for me. so little heat and stress involved. of course i am running stock equip. 90% highway. maybe if i had a ton of cash in a locker and gears bashing over rocks i might see it differently.

treedoc said:
i have started using synthetic in my block (175K), but synthetic in the diffs is a bit of a headscratcher for me. so little heat and stress involved. of course i am running stock equip. 90% highway. maybe if i had a ton of cash in a locker and gears bashing over rocks i might see it differently.

Yea, I think it's more peace of mind for those of us with non-stock equipment. worth it? Probably not :lecture:

Redline

cuse i get it for free :D

Back