• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spool

mikecooper

NAXJA Forum User
To spool or not to spool. Yes its a DD, no I dont care that it will wear my tires faster. Thinking about getting a minispool for the 8.8, will i hold up to the 35's with a light foot? The 8.8 is 31 spline, welded tubes and has 4.56 gears.

spool.....I loved mine on my dd because around here there is snow and the spool is alot more predictable than a detroit, or whatever you choose, randomly locking up on you while your driving down the highway on ice....
-cal

From what I've read on the 8.8, the carrier is the weak link. Most won't reccomend a mini-spool, due to this. If you spool it, go with a full spool IMHO.
Just put a Detroit or ARB in it and be done.:wave:

Haleyes said:
From what I've read on the 8.8, the carrier is the weak link. Most won't reccomend a mini-spool, due to this. If you spool it, go with a full spool IMHO.
Just put a Detroit or ARB in it and be done.:wave:
Ditto

calvin andrus said:
spool.....I loved mine on my dd because around here there is snow and the spool is alot more predictable than a detroit, or whatever you choose, randomly locking up on you while your driving down the highway on ice....
-cal
SPOBI
Detroits don't "randomly lock up."
It's simple; you apply power, they lock.
Nothing random about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleyes
Just put a Detroit or ARB in it and be done.

I imagine cost is a factor so, Detroit or ARB would be out. A mini spool would be simple and cheap, but replacing the weak carrier as suggested with a full spool would probably be your best bet.

You already regeared so setting the gears again probably wouldn't be a big deal. A full spool will probably cost in the $75-$150 range depending on which one you go with.

And, if you don't care about tire wear well, spool it.

weld it, ive been beating on my 8.8 for about 8 months or so on 33s and 35s and havent had a problem. i would weld it before i went mini spool. with the carrier being the weak spot, and normaly breaking by the cross pin. when u weld the spiders to the carrier it distributes the load more evenly, instead of concentrating it at the cross pin like a minispool would. plus u will break ur d30 to peices well before the 8.8 is about to wimper.

kolby

Id rather replace a shaft which i have a few of more than i would fiddling with pieces of weld and spiders out of the diff. Full sppol is a good idea but i dont have the ability to regear myself and i doubt ill be able to get it done for $150 again. Anyone have a 3rd memeber i can practice setting gears up one. Sam what about your old 3rd member?

Friend of mine ran an 8.8 with a mini-spool in his Grand with a V8 on 36s. He beat the living crap out of that thing, he spun the housing twice after it had been welded both times, he snaped acouple shafts, and twisted also driveshaft(all at diffrent times), and never had a problem with the mini-spool!!

I'm running a mini-spool in my 9in with 4.88s and 35s and I haven't had any problems!!

lankchevy said:
i would weld it before i went mini spool. with the carrier being the weak spot, and normaly breaking by the cross pin. when u weld the spiders to the carrier it distributes the load more evenly, instead of concentrating it at the cross pin like a minispool would.

This makes a lot of sense. I welded my 8.8 also, but did not weld the spiders to the case...just filled in some of the vacant teeth on the spiders/side gears to keep 'em from rotating....still has a bit of play until it catches (that bad?).
Wish I woulda thought about the distributing the load evenly theory - I woulda done it - but also weakens the carrier MORE I suppose.

My only beef is that I don't run a sway bar and when I turn the twisting forces the rear axle puts on the vehicle makes the Jeep list horribly to the outside of the turn since the front suspension is so limber. If you have a DD I would expect that you have a sway bar....so maube it wouldn't be an issue.

yeah I have never run a detroit in the rear but my buddy spun out going over the mountain and he said the detroit "locked up" he might just be a shitty driver.
-cal

Weld it or minispool it, I've run welded for several years now and wouldn't have it any other way.

I don't recommend welding your sidegears and spiders to the carrier, filling the 8 mesh pockets with plenty of metal will hold just fine.

Back