• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Poor Mans D30 ox locker?

cyberbackpacker

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone one using a d30 vac disco poor mans selectable locker? Weld the spider gears, and hook up a posi-lock in place of the vacuum motor?

Thoughts? Since the tcase would just see it as a non-disco axle, think it would be a prob in 2wd (chirping)? In 4wd w/posi disengaged? In 4wd w/posi?

Thanks.

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

yeah but that puts alot of stress on the drivers side and I have a feeling you would be breaking that side alot. Specially in turns where usually the front end when open is allowed to choose which side gets the power. Though for offroad only purposes all I can say is try it and see what happens. You might want to stock up on X260 joints though.

I ran that way for a while.

The only difference in 2wd was the front driveshaft would always be spinning.

In 4wd it allowed me to disengage the front when I wanted to turn which was nice.

The only problem was 4wd on the street. If you didn't have the vacuum disco engaged the driver side would be connected to the drivetrain and the passenger would not...this caused a lot of pulling left and right as the driver side would slow with engine compression and accelerate with power while the pass side would not. So, in 4wd on the road the vacuum disco had to be engaged all the time which made for some serious understeer in almost all slippery conditions.

After a year I ended up switching the setup to a front aussie locker so the turning wasn't so bad as the vehicle was my daily driver.

Back