• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle choices

Canopener

NAXJA Member #963
Quick background: Started with a front 44 and rear 9" out of a 79 Bronco. I was going to put these on my 96. I recently gained a cheap 8 lug 44 which I am going to use. Last week a rear Dana 60 from a E350 was given to me. It is a 32 spline full floater with huge disk brakes. The limited slip in it disintegrated, and I haven't cleaned it up enough to be sure the housing or bearing surfaces weren't damaged. The question is: What rear axle would you use? I like the clearance of the nine and the brakes and full floating ends of the 60. Has anyone combined the two? I have all sorts of ideas running through my mind. I have searched, but unless you put in just the right words, nothing comes up. I will also be using some HumVee rims so the final bolt pattern doesn't matter. Thanks for your input.

muahahaha! I'm a big fan of the nine inch, though I wish there was a cheaper way to throw one in the front of the jeep.

I love the 9" as well and have a 35 spline 9" with nodular case etc in my 91' Xj, but I would use that full floater 60 if I were you and the 8 lug hp44. The full floater is near bullet proof and stronger than even a 35 spline semi float, plus you get get stock spares/replacements easily if needed. The disc brakes is a huge plus as well. You might be able to clear 15" wheels with them with a little work.

Troy

Big Red said:
I love the 9" as well and have a 35 spline 9" with nodular case etc in my 91' Xj, but I would use that full floater 60 if I were you and the 8 lug hp44. The full floater is near bullet proof and stronger than even a 35 spline semi float, plus you get get stock spares/replacements easily if needed. The disc brakes is a huge plus as well. You might be able to clear 15" wheels with them with a little work.

Troy

Are you saying a 30spline FF 60 axle is stonger than a semi float 35 spline 9" axle?

David Taylor said:
Are you saying a 30spline FF 60 axle is stonger than a semi float 35 spline 9" axle?

I know that axle shaft size per axle shaft size, the 35 spline 1.5" dia 9" shafts are bigger and stronger being 1541 alloy than the 30 spline dana 60 stock shafts, but the semi float 9" shafts have to support the weight of the vehicle besides the twisting force that every axle shaft deals with. Plus you can run manual hubs if you want for true unlocked flat towing front and rear if you want, disengaging the drivetrain.
So to answer your question, yes the FF 60 is strong (housing/ff design), possibly stronger than the semi float 9", but the 9" 35 spline shafts are bigger and use aftermarket alloy and are stronger than the stock dana 60 shafts.

I'm just rehashing from what I hear though, I do run a 35 spline axle shafts and it is just about bullet proof for me on 37's in my XJ. :laugh3:

Troy

Big Red said:
I know that axle shaft size per axle shaft size, the 35 spline 1.5" dia 9" shafts are bigger and stronger being 1541 alloy than the 30 spline dana 60 stock shafts, but the semi float 9" shafts have to support the weight of the vehicle besides the twisting force that every axle shaft deals with. Plus you can run manual hubs if you want for true unlocked flat towing front and rear if you want, disengaging the drivetrain.
So to answer your question, yes the FF 60 is strong (housing/ff design), possibly stronger than the semi float 9", but the 9" 35 spline shafts are bigger and use aftermarket alloy and are stronger than the stock dana 60 shafts.

I'm just rehashing from what I hear though, I do run a 35 spline axle shafts and it is just about bullet proof for me on 37's in my XJ. :laugh3:

Troy

So if I put a warn full float kit on my D35, that would make it be stronger than a D44 ?

David Taylor said:
So if I put a warn full float kit on my D35, that would make it be stronger than a D44 ?

Overall no. But shaft size yes. Even if you went with only 31 spline shafts, the D44 has to support the weight, and handle the torque. Whereas your new FF D35 shafts only have to handle the torque. Plus the aftermarket shaft are usually mad froma higher grade material than a stock shaft. From my experiance with Aftermarket FF kits, the shafts are just made better. My 35 spl. D60 shafts are 1.5" all the way through, they are not narrowed down at any point. When i was working at a dodge dealer we pulled the rear shafts on a FF Dually D70 (can't remember the year) the shafts where narrowed down then back up just before the splines. By tape measure the narrowed spot was around 1 1/4 thick. Next time you look at an XJ D44 look at the shafts, they also narrow down just before the splines. Most aftermarket shafts do not do this.

just my $.02

Dingo

Ask for Lance at Sunray, he wont try to sell you anything but after you hear what he has to say you'll want to buy:) 817-594-9201 and look at www.sunrayengineering.com hes got a few comparisons and what the differences are as well. Ask anyone about sunray, best custom axle shop in the world as far as im concered.

Lucas said:
muahahaha! I'm a big fan of the nine inch, though I wish there was a cheaper way to throw one in the front of the jeep.

Depends an what your idea of cheap is? For a 9" in the front you cant beat a 609 from sunray:9" center section, d60 tubes 35 spline, pure beef.

Dingo509 said:
Overall no. But shaft size yes. Even if you went with only 31 spline shafts, the D44 has to support the weight, and handle the torque. Whereas your new FF D35 shafts only have to handle the torque. Plus the aftermarket shaft are usually mad froma higher grade material than a stock shaft. From my experiance with Aftermarket FF kits, the shafts are just made better. My 35 spl. D60 shafts are 1.5" all the way through, they are not narrowed down at any point. When i was working at a dodge dealer we pulled the rear shafts on a FF Dually D70 (can't remember the year) the shafts where narrowed down then back up just before the splines. By tape measure the narrowed spot was around 1 1/4 thick. Next time you look at an XJ D44 look at the shafts, they also narrow down just before the splines. Most aftermarket shafts do not do this.

just my $.02

Dingo

:confused1

Back