• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mean Green starters and alternators

junk yard starter, cheep. your best bet is prob to go to a reputable electric motor repair shop and have them rebuild it with higher output windings.

The Mean Green's are pricey but in my opinion...

Worth it...

You get what you pay for in this case...

I've had the starter for 6 years now...

Bulletproof and built with a fully clockable mount...

If I could afford the alternator and it had a higher amp output...

I'd buy it.

I'm running both the starter and alternator.

The starter was definitely worth it (IMHO). The alternator has been very good as well. I've put a fair amount of draw on it and it's always been up to my electrical demands.

As for the price, that's a tough call as I don't have anything to compare them to beyond OE.

Kent :)

my stock starter is 10 years old and still starts my truck just fine. i was wrong once but i just don't see the need for a high tech starter when the junkyard has plenty. a reman shop shouldn't charge you more than 150 to put in some good windings for your alt. to up the powa!

I have both the Mean Green Starter & Alternator.

Very happy with both.

Wish they were cheaper, and the alt made a few more amps; but, they have given me 4+ years of uninterrupted service.

I went thru 4 OEM Hitachi starters prior to that. The salt water eats'em up; most never made it out of warranty (thankfully, that way the replacement was free...until I got tired of those POS starters and got the MG one).

DJ

JMotorsprt said:
Where is the best (cheapest) place to pick up a Mean Green?

I have a NEW Starter from my 4.0 I bought it for my Xj put it in and a few weeks later pulled the motor and sold the motor.

I may have started the jeep about 10 times with it. I cant use it since I went with a 388 V8 Stroker. But I did get one for it also.

When I ordered it it was a bit over $300 so I will do 250 obo

Back