• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford HP44 - torsionn bar setup...worth it?

Benz0

NAXJA Forum User
OK - picked up a HP44/9 combo from a late series F truck...good thing is the front is already setup for coils

Issue: should I run the torque bars, keep it simple since no uppers will be needed and setup a beefy crossmember - or would this be a waste of time?

Are we talking the same thing. You are calling them torsion bars. Torsion bars are in effect a spring and are used on independant suspension. Around here we use radius arms with coil springs. Is this what you are referring to?

radiusarms.jpg

outtaknoxville013.jpg

frontend.jpg

frontshot.jpg

interesting curvature to those springs. i'm assuming those aren't attached up top yet in the last picture?

they are.

old_man said:
Are we talking the same thing. You are calling them torsion bars. Torsion bars are in effect a spring and are used on independant suspension. Around here we use radius arms with coil springs. Is this what you are referring to?

radius arms...at the time of the post I couldn't remember for the life of me WTF ford called them :laughing:

anyhoo - yeah I want to swap the setup on the XJ i am currently working on...seems pretty straight forward - I will be doing some searching now I remember the name :D

any search criteria for some good results besides the following?? "ford radius arms"

Lucas - thos rod ends look like big JJ's??? How did you go about the welding of that tube on the forged arms???just curious on the technique - rig looks awesome!

Also - looks like you're running the ford springs too? True - and how does it act on the trail?

Thanks!

Benzo

search for posts by FarmerMatt. He did the Ford radius arms a few years ago, so filter out any posts in the last two years - unless you want to look at his Cat buggy.

HTH

Benz0 said:
Lucas - thos rod ends look like big JJ's??? How did you go about the welding of that tube on the forged arms???just curious on the technique - rig looks awesome!

Also - looks like you're running the ford springs too? True - and how does it act on the trail?

Thanks!
The ends are big RE joints. The tube extensions are 1.5" OD .25"wall DOM. That makes for a 1" ID which is bigger than the stud at the end of the radius arm. What I did was build up the end of the radius arm stud with a lot of weld, then ground it down a bit so it was a press fit into the tube. Right now they are just tacked in place. I intend to preheat the arms a bit, then just run a hot fat bead around the circumfrence. When you look at how the tube and flange of the radius arm come together, you'll see that it is an ideal V gap for a good weld.

Those are Rusty's 4.5" XJ springs. Using the ford buckets (sitting on top of the arm) gives a little lift.

I've actually never driven it. I had to move 900 miles away right at the end of the project. It will be completed at the end of December.

Lucas said:
Those are Rusty's 4.5" XJ springs. Using the ford buckets (sitting on top of the arm) gives a little lift.

I've actually never driven it. I had to move 900 miles away right at the end of the project. It will be completed at the end of December.

What size are those tires shown? I was curious...I am at 5" right now but may go up to 6.5...with the HP44...sorry to hijack

I can't remember. 35x14x15 or something very similar on 10x8 rims with 4" BS. I wish I bought 10x8s. Only paid 100 bucks for the tires :sunshine:

Lucas, do you have a picture of the crossmember finished. I am in the middle of the exact same swap. I was planning on sleeving the whole radius arm, and using the last 4, or 5 inches of my Rusty's lower control arms. The joints seem plenty beefy. Did your arms end up being on the side, or under the frame rails? Sorry for the hi-jack, just soo many questions :laugh3:

Back