• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Selectable Lockers from a Durability Standpoint

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
I'd like to go with selectable lockers (As opposed to my prograssive locker ;)) so I'm gonna do my homework.

Who's broken what and how hard were you beating on it?

Thanks,
Sequoia

I put in an ARB in the front (HP D30) and the first weekend I went out I somehow bent the copper airline inside the locker. I guess I must have really bounced the front end (climbing a rock wall I think). It was pinched and twisted just enough to not let the air escape, so the locker was always engaged.

It was a quick fix and nothing has gone wrong since (about 5 mos. of wheelin').

DR

I have had an ARB in the Ford 8.8 under my XJ. Its been there for about 2 years now with no major issues. On one trip the copper line shifted just enough to slightly rub against the ring gear creating a small leak. It had been raining for about 4 days stright and was pouring down the entire time on the trail so it was very very sloppy. I had to seriously beat the crap of out my rig to get over obsticals. Since this was on an off camber section of trail, I lost about a quart of gear lube through the vent tube from the axle being pressureized. Repared the copper line and everything is peachy. I drove it around for the last week with the locker engauged smoking the tires since I need new ones with the 4.6L stroker pushing 220ft-lbs at the wheels with no problems.

AARON

Ive got two Gen1's(D30/D44) and a Gen2(D30).The oldest being the G1/D30 at 4years and no problems.I set-up my gears tight to start,I wheel hard but not with my left foot.Also both vehicles are auto/4to1/and geared properly.

ARB. If anything goes wrong with the copper line INSIDE the case it was a set-up error. I broke the ceter pin in one when I bent my 35. The D30 has been trouble free, as has the back D44, the solinoids gave me trouble after a few years, but the new style is much better.

Rev

1st generation ARB on a Dana 30 that had air time was not a good combination. Belleville washers and bolts were constantly backing out.
No firsthand knowledge on second generation ARBs, but truss the snot
out of the D30, and they should live.

Lodi Jim said:
1st generation ARB on a Dana 30 that had air time was not a good combination. Belleville washers and bolts were constantly backing out.
No firsthand knowledge on second generation ARBs, but truss the snot
out of the D30, and they should live.

Yeah, my 1st gen ARB had backed out bolts as well. The dana 30 really flexes and needs trussing and lock tite your ARB bolts in and still keep an eye on them every so often. I've now gone with a detroit f.r in my hp44/9" due to its durability and no nonscence performance. The ARB was nice though, but can be problematic and leave you open diffed if you have a air leak, electrical problem, or other issues.

Troy

GSequoia said:
Anybody here break an OX or Detroit Electrac?

Whatever you do, DON'T buy an Electrac! I had one for about 2000 miles before it decided to grenade and take out an axle shaft to boot. I've read many write ups from people who couldn't get them adjusted to work properly, and the instructions that came with mine even omitted the step of how to adjust the ring that engages the locker. Mine would "skip" under power and ended up breaking the locker AND an axleshaft. Now, in Tractech's (sp?) defense, I run a full case detroit in the front of my XJ and its flawless. I think they rushed into building it and had alot of quality control issues, especially with their instructions. I would go with something that is proven to work, which is not the electrac in my opinion. Take it for what its worth.

MIke

2nd gen ARB owner for two years now, without any problems. Nothing has loosened, leaked, or ever failed to work as advertised.
The only issue was my fault, slightly over filling the diff caused a little to blow out the solenoid, easy fix though.

3rd strike for the D30 ARB bolts backing out.
I've had it happen twice.
This time red locktited the chit out of them.
We'll see.
Many horror stories about E locker.
Considering OX on the new 44.

any specific links to the E-locker "horror" stories?

And please lets not confuse it with the electrac!! They are two different birds.

So far this thread sounds more like an ARB horror story.

I am not picking on ARB, nor do I assume there are no E-lockers broken.... just want to read the how and why.

Also, in ARB defense, there are just plain a ton of em out there and that means were going to hear of more problems. It is probably a low percentage rate this is OK, I just don't want to mess with all the air lines, switches, etc.... I already run CO2 and love it, don't want a compressor. And don't wanna run out of C02 and leave me in 2 wheel drive(1front 1 rear).

I broke a Gen1 ARB in my 8.8 after 4 years of my "special" style of driving. Then again, I broke two 8.8 housings during the same period, so there is no guarantee that the ARB issue was not an issue that came about because of the junked housings:

picture.JPG

Gen2 has been great for 2 years.

Tips for bulletproof ARB installs:

Run manual air switches (no solenoids)

Never put more than 90 PSI into the locker. Helps the seals live longer.

Change your oil often to keep contamination out of the seals.

CRASH

CRASH said:
I broke a Gen1 ARB in my 8.8 after 4 years of my "special" style of driving. Then again, I broke two 8.8 housings during the same period, so there is no guarantee that the ARB issue was not an issue that came about because of the junked housings:

picture.JPG

CRASH

Gotta disagree with yo0ur PSI of 90....too low according to ARB they told me never under 95 or over 105 Iran mine around 100 with never an issue

xjnation said:
Gotta disagree with yo0ur PSI of 90....too low according to ARB they told me never under 95 or over 105 Iran mine around 100 with never an issue
85-105 PSI (from ARB Manual)

kid4lyf said:
85-105 PSI (from ARB Manual)
yep but 85-90 will not have enough force to the locker to work in all situations. and slippage can happen. The engineer I talked to said never under 95 for best long term results

CRASH said:

picture.JPG

CRASH

I ran ARB's for over 10 years with an ARB compressor & solenoids, never had a problem.
Only problems I had were a broken cross shaft in my old 44 (rear axle)
Twice I found loose/broken cap bolts in my D30
& 2 or 3 times the D30 would blow diff fluid out the solenoid.
If I was still running selectable lockers, it would be ARB all the way.

The loose cap bolt problem is not unique to ARB, Detroit's have the same issue.

Paul

Back