• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Balancing?? Golf balls, BB's etc?

Gunner

NAXJA Forum User
Yes I searched

just put 38's on and my death wobble came back (as expected) I had my 36's balanced or at least close which helped reduce DW a lot, after the last fiasco getting 36's balanced I don't dare try taking 38's any where. They are beadlocked anyway so I just want to get close. I have heard about Golf balls and BB's, there is always the powder but I don't have a dryer for my on board air. I did hear about using RV anti freeze,,, ? Anyone treid any of these with any success?

Death wobble is not caused by balance. It can be triggered by balance, but if balance keeps it from starting, you are driving with a false sense of security. At the worst possible time, you could hit a bump or something in the road and it may come back.

If you make it to the Chapter Meeting, I would be happy to take a look and help diagnose it.

Jon Jacobs (JJacobs) did the golf balls, etc in his rig for a while and can give you first hand knowlege on how well it works. I had a hard time getting used to the wierd noises. :laugh3:

I have been fighting DW for years sometimes its there sometimes it isn't so I mostly gave up and don't drive it too far or fast on the road. But getting back a fourth to the trail can be a pain at 30mph I figure if I can calm it down enough to go 50mph I'll be happy.. How about 24 oz. of RV anitfreeze in each tire?? I heard of this but can't remember the outcome other than sloshing sounds.

i have about 10 golf balls in each of my q78's on beadlocks they are fairly good but start to get jumpy at about 65 going from 33's - q78's i got some death wobble hydro assist fixed that (not the end all fix but will be for a little bit till i work out some issues) there is also a company that makes a balancing device that bolts between the rim and mounting surface and balances the tires much the way golf balls are supposed to. i would like to know if anyone has put a golf ball tire on a machine to see how well it balanced. air soft pellets seem like the way to go prob get a better balance.

How much caster do you have? Lifting some times removes to much caster.
You need at least 6 deg's positive up to 10. Will your wheel go back stright after a turn or go you have to turn it back? If you have to turn is back by hand and steer with both hands all the time you don't have enough caster.

i have equal in my 38s and it did not help. 27oz per tire. i think the only solution to DW from big tires would be to go hydro assist. I just put 2 stabilizer shock on my xj and that helped but going on the freeway is still dangerous.

Thanks for the info on equal, I agree with the hydro assist I had been hoping to put it off for a while, but after a talk with a Buddy $150 for parts and a 6 six pack and he'd do it for me. Thats the cheapest hydo steering I have heard of. Guess I'll have to give it a shot. I just hope he drinks the 6 pack after he drills into my steering box.

BrettM said:
use airsoft pellets

Not to highjack but how are those working for you?

I was reading another thread from a little ways back when you were using golf balls. Any noticable difference and how well do they actually work?

Is this the chart you used to find out how many ounces of airsoft pellets to use?: http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm

Back