• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-Joint Questions

BCParker

NAXJA Forum User
1997 4.0, auto, 8.25,231, 125,000mi[/U]

Could somebody please describe the process to test for a bad u-joint?

These are original to the vehicle, and I've been getting a bad feeling, a sort of like a clunk from somewhere behind me when accelerating from a stop, or after braking hard and then hitting the gas. I'm trying to figure out what's gonna need replacing soon and what I might be able to do myself.

DSCN1034.jpg

DSCN1039.jpg

Rear DS
DSCN1020.jpg

Sorry they're huge
Thanks for your help.

_B

Last edited:
You mean the weird angle the u-joint machined surfaces make (not parallel) in the third picture? I think this might be due to the camera and how close he is in taking the picture. Very small mm lenses do funny things to images. At least i HOPE thats the reason.

n5xl said:
You mean the weird angle the u-joint machined surfaces make (not parallel) in the third picture? I think this might be due to the camera and how close he is in taking the picture. Very small mm lenses do funny things to images. At least i HOPE thats the reason.

In the last picture there is some crookedness there in real life, though the camera might make it look worse -took those pics last night using just the flash as a light source, so maybe

thanks for replies, can replacement be done with normal hand tools, or is press or something special required?

-I'll see if I can get a better pic today.

In the last picture the caps were also moving, look at the missing rust around the clips. The center also looks like it's been "HOT".
Also lots of times they get tight before they fail so shaking them don't always find the problem.

Last edited:
BCParker said:
In the last picture there is some crookedness there in real life, though the camera might make it look worse -took those pics last night using just the flash as a light source, so maybe

thanks for replies, can replacement be done with normal hand tools, or is press or something special required?

-I'll see if I can get a better pic today.

You can do it with hand tools. Not the easiest method, but it can be done.

Thanks alot otto. That first link doesn't make it seem too bad, the two sockets to pound it out looks good. I'm getting ready to order two new ujoints for the rear, and may have to do everything up front too eventually.

any other tips or warnings as to what I should/not do?

PB Blaster?

Considering the rust on everything and the possible bent/warped/uneven joint, will I need to replace anything besides the joint?

thanks again
B

Back