• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fixing Rust Need Help

Hemenechi

NAXJA Forum User
ok what i need help with is the prep work. im planning to do herculiner to the botom of my jeep insted of getting paint mixed and matched

heres a few pics of my jeep that are rusted. sofar in my head im thinking of sandblasting the rusty spots and just use a palm sander on the rest of it. but what else should i do?

For this pic i was thinking of cuting it out and A: fill it with fiberglass and sand it down to the shape its suposed to be or B: cut it off and weld a new pice from another cherokee?
100_2225.jpg

This pic i was thinking of just sandblasting it but what else should i do?
100_2229.jpg

Same as the above for this pic too
100_2228.jpg

Thanks for any help

i'd try sanding it down with a sanding block, and a real rough paper...go to a smoother paper later. there's a type of spray that's sold at walmart that converts rust into a black primer. i sprayed some of this on one of my xj's. i had rust underneath the carpet in the cargo area. so far so good. it's in the automotive section, with all the auto paints.

Humm... I would grind down the surface or wire bush the shit out of it. Then use POR15 after prepping with "metal ready". You can order POR15 and the metal ready from their website. After you got all the rust you see (including door jams and rock pinch seems, rough up the extior w/ scotch bright and roll on the herc. As for the hole... I would take off all your fender flares (throw in garbage), then cut that part of you rear fenders off. Make a strait cut right above the hole and fold up the metal about 1". and POR15 the edges before the herc. You have a typical northern XJ problem. Did you pull your carpet yet? You might want to do that too...

i have not pulled my carpet yet. but my floors are rot free its just the rockers and that one side. im planning to throw out the fender flares and the carpet and do the inside but winter is coming out so im not going to make this a huge project for my dd. soon its gunna be for jeep jamboree and light wheeling.

thanks for the help ill post pics of the outcome.

I was just surprised today with a rust hole in teh passenger side front floor board right above the exhaust. I am doing some tcase work and while removing the tcase I found the hole. My XJ is a 96. I can't believe I have a hole already. I have been meticulous about avoiding rust and still got stung. Now off to the body parts store for some sheet metal. Fun Fun.....

BA

I also have a NH XJ....rust and rot popping out everywhere. I sandblasted the rust, cut out as much rot as I could and replaced (welded/riveted) with sheet metal. I covered the factory rocker panels with new ones from J.C. Whitney ($25 ea.).
I also bought a quart of Zero Rust (JCW too). Prepped all metal first then sprayed on Zero Rust, let dry then another coat. I top coated this with bedliner(black), doesn't look bad at all (white body/black rockers and lower doors) matches original color scheme. So far its holding up great, no chips or rust forming or bleeding thru.
I would lift the carpet and check the floor, my floor felt soild 'til I lifted the carpet. Half the floor was gone on the drivers side, it felt ok 'cause the carpet has thick pad (this pad holds all kinds of moisture, leading to rust/rot) under it and carpet is rubber (thick) backed. I performed same procedure on floor as body, still have to finish it cosmetically from the underside so it will pass inspection.

BAs96XJ said:
I was just surprised today with a rust hole in teh passenger side front floor board right above the exhaust. I am doing some tcase work and while removing the tcase I found the hole. My XJ is a 96. I can't believe I have a hole already. I have been meticulous about avoiding rust and still got stung. Now off to the body parts store for some sheet metal. Fun Fun.....

BA

I bought a 95 with absolutely no rust on the outside of the body. No surface rust or anything. The underside didnt look too bad either after first glance. But when I was doing my lift and it was on the hoist I started noticing holes. Driver and passenger floorboard are rusted (passenger is not so bad). The drivers side has a hole I could stick my foot through. Rear passenger is bad. I havent even taken my carpet out yet. I am afraid to. Thats what I get for trusting the outside of the body.

I just purchased the POR-15 Stater Kit and am starting with the axels this weekend.
For your problem, I would go either with POR-15 or this:
http://www.hytechsales.com/
I don't know much about it yet, someone in this forum posted the link recently. If you decide to go with it, let us know how it holds. You will never go wrong with POR-15 though...
HTH
Boris

Mine was the same way...drivers front, pass rear....I thnk the pass. front holds up better due to the heat from the CAT. drying out the carpet and pad.
I have used POR-!5 but like the Zero Rust better, it also comes in colors I think the web site was www.mfgsealants.com

Dizzy, did you use it in the aerosol or the can. If the can, what do you thin it with. POR15 can be sprayed, but only thinned a bit. Also I have found POR15 is really not that good on clean metal (ie. not rusted). It peeled off of my skids.

I didn't thin it, used a brush on some stuff and "shot" the rest with my touch up gun, didn't want to screw up my good gun in case of any problems.
I don't have the can in front of me but I do believe there are instructons for thinning. I'm ordering a couple of spray cans today (colored).
I prepped any bare metal first with Prep All then applied the Zero Rust, I didn't prime 'cause it acts as a primer too. Let it dry and apply another thin coat, this is where spraying comes in handy so you can get nice even thin coats. Haven't had any problem's with it peeling like I did with POR.
Almost forgot....don't brush paint out of the can, if you get rust in it, the product will start to "set-up" in the can, my son found this out when he used mine helping out friend with some rust....lol

Cut the rockers off and put some 2x6x 3/16 in its place. Its not really that hard. Do a search if your interested.

Back