• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4-hi broken on 231?

theksmith

NAXJA Member #1072
I searched and couldn't find anything relevant, can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Went wheelin yesterday, used 4-hi and 4-lo alot, on the gravel road at the end, went to switch from lo to hi and there was a huge grinding noise! came to a complete stop, went to 2hi and back to 4hi, stopped grinding, but soon as I gave it gas, it would slip and grind a little. 2hi and 4lo still worked no problem. Today, I put it in 4hi in the parking lot just to see what it would do and no problems!

I don't know anything about the internals of a t-case. I have 231. I crawled under and there's no leakin or visible external damage. It appears to be engaging solid, so I don't think it's a linkage problem. I'm wondering what could have been wrong that would suddenly fix itself?

When you were on the trail the t-case might have not fully engaged in 4 hi. If it is working fine now I would not worry about it. If it starts happening more look in to it.

kristoffers said:
I searched and couldn't find anything relevant, can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Went wheelin yesterday, used 4-hi and 4-lo alot, on the gravel road at the end, went to switch from lo to hi and there was a huge grinding noise! came to a complete stop, went to 2hi and back to 4hi, stopped grinding, but soon as I gave it gas, it would slip and grind a little. 2hi and 4lo still worked no problem. Today, I put it in 4hi in the parking lot just to see what it would do and no problems!

I don't know anything about the internals of a t-case. I have 231. I crawled under and there's no leakin or visible external damage. It appears to be engaging solid, so I don't think it's a linkage problem. I'm wondering what could have been wrong that would suddenly fix itself?
Did you check the fluid while you were under there?

You were halfway between neutral and 4 hi. Used to happen on my YJ when shifting from 4lo to 4hi. I don't really ever use 4 hi in my YJ anymore...so problem solved. I found that to go from low to high, I had to go all the way into 2 high, then back into 4 hi. If you have 4 low and 2 high, you have 4 high.

I can feel the detent as it goes into each position including 4-hi, It really does seem like it's engaging correctly. How can I tell for sure if it's in-between gears?

Are you relying on the position of the lever to decide whether it's engaged properly or are you doing that based on the feel of the lever as it's going in? In any case if I had to guess, I'd say that your linkage is off due to either worn out transmission (and or engine) mount or worn out linkage bushings or combination of those two.

I'm not relying on the labels for the positions, but rather the "feel". I just replaced motor and tranny mounts a few months ago, so I will check out the linkage.

My best guess was linkage, but I thought I'd ask if there where any other common problems.

Back