• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stripped coil clip bolt hole

dlafferty

NAXJA Forum User
I just put in a 2" rubicon express lift. Unfortunately, the socket for the front spring retainer clip bolt is stripped. Any ideas? I was thinking of just getting it welded. Any other ideas? Would getting a re-threading kit do the job? Looking for some advice from someone who's been there.

helicoil, or drill it and tap it to the next size. dont weld it in

Mine did the same thing went to hardware store picked up the next size bigger in a self tapping bolt,worked great.

Drill out and tap. If you don't, the spring will rotate and will bow in the wrong direction. Mine was rubbing against the inner-C and was very annoying.

I haven't run any in 4 years and have only once had to straighten a coil. I plan to fix it one day but it hasn't been too high on my priority list or caused much sleep loss. As others have said, don't weld it. Since it's not under any sort of load, a self tapper should work fine if you didn't want to drill and tap the hole.

Back