• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalytic Converters

KSXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a way to run without or how easy is it to change out? Looking at mine I can't tell if its welded in since there are clamps on each side. Then what about the sensor, is there a way to bybass it?

There is no sensor on catalytic converters. They operate using two solid elements one on each end that basically filter the exhaust in a way. If you choose to run without it beware of cops. If your caught without it it's big trouble. Your best option is to get a high performance cat however they get pretty spendy. Your best off just leaving it alone unless you can no longer pass DEQ or if it leaks exhaust.

Mine does, the four wire type. I've seen them stuck into the pipe past a catalytic converter, but I was hoping not to have to weld. Is that possible with exaust pipe?

But as long as it was removed prior to my ownership I can get away from it. And well thats what I will be telling the cops. In kansas we don't have any this that we have to pass.

If it has a sensor its a OBD2 compliant Jeep (is it a 96 or later?) and the 02 sensor monitors the cat and throws a code if it detects the cat isin't burning off the unreacted pollutants. There are devices you can get that "simulate" the correct voltage to the computer. What it looks for is a steady voltage not exceeding a certain amount. A non-functioning cat causes the voltage to fluctuate in a wave-like form with the a/f ratio fluctuations.

No, but I know summitracing.com has them for sale and other places online like Ebay do but the stuff on summitracing isin't as dubious. Either way, unless its clogged modern cats esp. the high flow aftermarket ones aren't supposed to have a huge effect on performance.

It looks like your state doesn't have inspections, I replaced mine when I changed out the whole exhaust system so I know it was pretty easy. It was clamped not welded the tubes were stuck together so I just used a sawzall.

so you think if I cut it out and replaced the cat with different one and different muffler I would be able to clamp it in and not weld it?

Welding is the preferred method of joining the tubes seamlessly but clamping is acceptable. If you use clamps, I prefer band clamps (are serveral inches wide and wrap around the tube). I deliberately decided to clamp and not weld between the downpipe (comes after the header) and the cat so I could easily unhook the cat (and welded muffler) for various maintenance issues. The muffler-tailpipe connector is also clamped. I'm not going to comment on products that I have no experience with.

thats cool. I am just curious on what do do, my cat has gone bad so I have to do something, did you put an aftermarket cat on and if so where and how much?

Just bought a cat and magnaflow a couple of months ago. Google Searched Hi and Lo and found a high flow for $65. If I could remember the company, I would tell you.... Best something.

kscherokee said:
Its a 98. Do you know who makes one of those chips to fake it?
Unless your cat is crushed, or physically damaged it's highly unlikly that there is anything wrong with it. Fed regulations require emissions equipment to last at least 8 years (IIRC) regardless of the milage. Also removing it for any kind gain in performence will be a waste of time on anything flowing even close to a stock motor. As CATs made in the last 10-15 years have been fairly free flowing.

I bought a Magnaflow high-flow for $53 off some website. The exhaust shop cut the hole and welded in a bung for the O2 sensor. Legal, cheap, and a bit more HP.

Ill tell you this...if you LOVE the smell of exhaust and want the entire interior of your jeep and everything in it to stink to high heavens, then by all means, run it without a cat. I made this mistake...it offers ZERO performance gain, makes it loud, makes it stink, and makes it backfire on occasion! Do yourself and everyone behind you..RUN A CAT!!

scoobyxj said:
Fed regulations require emissions equipment to last at least 8 years (IIRC) regardless of the milage.

Are you saying that if the cat is less than 8 years old, the dealer will replace it for free?
I have a 00 car with a cat that rattles and makes all kinds of noise.

Back