• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sticky Throttle

The key is trying to isolate the carburetor.

Try disconnecting both the detent (also called kick-down or linkage) and accelerator cable and then see if the carburetor is working good. If it is, then

1. then try moving the accelerator cable in and out and check the resistance. If it's sticky, you can try to add a light weight oil or replace it with a new one.

2. check if the binding is your detent cable. That may be sticking due to rust or it's in the tranny. If it's sticking, disconnect it from the tranny and then try it. You made need to replace it. Hopefully the tranny is not the problem and the cable is bad.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, forgot to give some more info. Its an 88 MJ with fuel injection.

I know that its the throttle body that is sicking, cause when i move the butterfly by hand i can feel it sticking.

My only concern is ripping into the throttle body. I am no good with carbs and don't look forward to trying a throttle body.

well the TB is really simple, it's just a hole with a butterfly valve in it, with some sensors connected. Maybe it's your throttle spring?

Well I got my throttle unstuck. The plastic collar that the throttle return spring rides on was binding ( nut was too tight). Also the linkage pivot on the side of the intake needed some lithium grease. Works great now. My throttle response is now better then it ever was.

Back