• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

under seat lockbox idea!

xuv-this

bondo afficianado
so i was doing cleaning/orginizing/maint. today and i had this idea...i keep an old sw357 under the rear seat and the ammo in the golvebox. what if one could fab up/weld a lockbox into one of those pockets under the rear seat! and make the lock kinda hard to get to discourage picking! you would have to torch into the unibody to break into it! one might just be able to take an existing box and cut the bottom out to conform to that pocket.... what do you guys think? feasable?

FYI -

I dont know the laws in VA, but in NY, if you are caught with that under the seat you're going to have big problems.

a state trooper friend of mine found out i was keeping a huge hunting knife under my back seat and told me I better remove it....because if the wrong cop found it back there, for whatever reason.....he could really give you some problems........

somewhat off-topic, but important...

check the link in my signature for VERY accurate and up-to-date info on last post.

There are a number of states one may obtain a ccw for that state, even if you are not a resident. Fl., Ct., Maine, NH., PA.,

I've driven to those states and can offer info regarding built-in lock-box, specifically for an xj.

That is, if this reply don't get bumped... :gag:

Mike

thanks! that's a really handy site. i've never had problems before, but you never know...what do you know about the lock boxes?

Most states regarding SUVs require it be unreachable from the driver/passenger area of the cabin. Obviously a trunk does not exist.

I'm not going to answer any more q's about the topic, liability issues. That site will answer 99.99% of one's questions.

Be careful!!!

sv

Mike

oh, it would be fine in va, i am wondering about other states. see, i was thinking that "unreachable" would pretty much apply wouldn't it? -i'm sure you know how the seat lifer up thingie on the side and the way the seat folds up make it pretty unreachable (i'm 5'3") from the front seat w/o getting out unless you're the bionic rubber man, and if somebodies sitting on the back seat, that would make it even harder, since you would have to see the lock to unlock it. that's actually why i came up with the idea. might that apply?

I know there are lockboxes made by companies that can be electronically locked with a 12v switch so even if you had the key you wouldnt be able to open the box unless you knew where the switch was. Cop cars have them on their gun racks. Search www.galls.com for the box.

also FYI depending on local law you can apply for a concealed weapons permit and as long as your gun isn't loaded you can carry it. I am a corrections officer and I have a concealed weapons permit for obvious reasons. Some states make you have a legitament reason, i.e. if you transport large sums of money in your car. Something to look into, however a lot of times they go by county, so if you drive outside your county, beware.

XJ_Vikings said:
does anyone else find it funny the name of the site is packing.org?

must be a charlton heston brainchild

No. Can you explain the joke to me?

Packing.org is no joke. And what's this about having to be unloaded or out of reach - what's the point?

Really I feel sorry for you folks who have to deal with such restrictions. It isn't right.

If your state doesn't have shall issue (or better yet no permit as in VT or AK) it is because your state has been electing people who hate you. Throw the bums out or move.

Molon labe.

Dave in Eugene said:
Packing.org is no joke. And what's this about having to be unloaded or out of reach - what's the point?

Really I feel sorry for you folks who have to deal with such restrictions. It isn't right.

If your state doesn't have shall issue (or better yet no permit as in VT or AK) it is because your state has been electing people who hate you. Throw the bums out or move.

Molon labe.

Amen to that. No need to worry about a lockbox if it's always on you. ;)

Michigan is "shall issue". For the first couple of years you were not supposed to carry anywhere that sold alcohol. That meant when we went to dinner I had to leave my gun in the car. There were a few other really stupid things that got changed in an updated version. Every one can see that it did not turn into the wild west.

i think its a good idea to have it under the rear seat in a locked box if you cant keep it on your person. it would clearly be in the most inaccessible part of an xj. where else would be more inaccessible? would it be better to put it in your gym bag in the very back of the vehicle? Probably not.

My mom has an Xterra and my dad put a revolver in that silly little first aid kit that fits in the tailgate, meaning you have to get out of the car, walk to the back, open the door, fuss with the first aid bag, and then you have the gun. It is the most worthless thing I have ever seen. However, my dad also carries a 9mm backup gun that was recommended by a state trooper friend he hunts with. That thing is smaller and lighterweight than anything I have ever held (except for old .22 purse pistols).

Well, locked in a box under the back seat shouldn't be considered concealed... without a CCW they want you to transport them in a locked container anyway, and you already addressed the carrying the ammo elsewhere issue. Sounds like a good idea, I may look into it also at some point.

ha ha. i'm now debating on whether to tub it out under there for an air compressor or just do the lock box. decisions, decisions....

also FYI depending on local law you can apply for a concealed weapons permit and as long as your gun isn't loaded you can carry it. I am a corrections officer and I have a concealed weapons permit for obvious reasons.
Is this true in West Virgina - you have a CCW and carry an unloaded weapon?
In Texas we are allowed to have loaded weapons.

Eddie

If you want info on gun laws, what better place to go than this:
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/FederalGunLaws.aspx?ID=59
Packing.org is a great site as well. NY and several other east coast states have what most consider to be draconian gun laws. Don't even get me started on Kalifornia :shiver: Even here in IN, a "shall issue" state, I have to occasionally leave my weapon in my vehicle, a task for which the glove box is ill suited IMO. The Tuffy box is nice, but VERY visible. Mossberg and a few other companies used to make a purpose built gun lock box designed to hold a pistol that could be bolted under a seat, however the XJ seats haven't been compatible with the ones I've seen. A tough, steel lock box "molded" to fit under the rear seat would definitely be a niche product, but one I would consider if the price were right. I have a permit and carry daily, but leaving it in my vehicle, even for a few hours, really bothers me. I know too many people who have lost firearms to "smash and grab" thefts in that situation.

XJFREK said:
If you want info on gun laws, what better place to go than this:
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/FederalGunLaws.aspx?ID=59
Packing.org is a great site as well. NY and several other east coast states have what most consider to be draconian gun laws. Don't even get me started on Kalifornia :shiver: Even here in IN, a "shall issue" state, I have to occasionally leave my weapon in my vehicle, a task for which the glove box is ill suited IMO. The Tuffy box is nice, but VERY visible. Mossberg and a few other companies used to make a purpose built gun lock box designed to hold a pistol that could be bolted under a seat, however the XJ seats haven't been compatible with the ones I've seen. A tough, steel lock box "molded" to fit under the rear seat would definitely be a niche product, but one I would consider if the price were right. I have a permit and carry daily, but leaving it in my vehicle, even for a few hours, really bothers me. I know too many people who have lost firearms to "smash and grab" thefts in that situation.

What kind of situations do you find yourself leaving it for a few hours? Only time I'm without is at the courthouse, but that's what they have lockboxes on site for.

Back