• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where To Buy Pwr Window Regulator

DesertDave

NAXJA Forum User
I've seen the numerous posts regarding how rapidly the OEM window regulator on 97+ XJs fails. I've also seen several threads stating that new ones have been purchased for about $120.

My local stealership is quoting me $260 and I can't find a 3rd party source that carries one.

Where are you guys buying them? I need 1 for a 2000 XJ.

Thanks

I bought a new Mopar unit off of Ebay. Curious, which one do you need?

BTW - I know they redesigned them some time after 1998. My replacement Mopar unit was much beefier than the orginal equipment.

My 2000 XJ is a 4-dr and I need the frt driver's side - makes sense since it's the one that gets used the most.

You are correct in that I believe the D/C replacement part is beefier than original, but I hate to part with $260 if I can find an equally beefy 3rd party source.

Or, as some of the previous threads imply, buy one over the phone/internet from a dealer somewhere else for about 1/2 the price.

Thanks,

DVC

Somewhere around mid99 Jeep redesigned the window regs to use metal clips instead of the earlier style plastic clip. All of the replacement regs available at the dealer (Mopar) are the metal clip design. This is the first time I've heard of a later style reg breaking (yours is a 2k right?).
If you decide to go aftermarket or used, make sure you get a reg with metal not plastic clips or else you'll have the same problem again in the future.

I forget what the drivers side costed, but for the passenger side I paid $70 from the dealer. The 2 door was a differant design and costed $120. It's amazing what the dealers will mark it up.

I mangaged to get mine from the pick n pull for $40 each. I got lucky and they just received a 99 xj that day.

I had to replace both fronts. I tried to have 550 cord tied to the window and use that as a manual for a while, but got annoying when I needed a cig at 70 mph.

Somewhere around mid99 Jeep redesigned the window regs to use metal clips instead of the earlier style plastic clip. All of the replacement regs available at the dealer (Mopar) are the metal clip design. This is the first time I've heard of a later style reg breaking (yours is a 2k right?).
If you decide to go aftermarket or used, make sure you get a reg with metal not plastic clips or else you'll have the same problem again in the future.

I'm not sure about all that... I needed one for my 98 in January and stole one out of a 01 XJ. It was practically the same, except the cog was different sizes. The JY is your best bet I think, 30 bones.

Ya, you are replacing something that failed with the same exact thing that will prolly fail down the road too, but these Jeeps are 10+ years old, what's the point in spending $100-$250 on something that will last longer than the Jeep itself?

I'm not sure about all that... I needed one for my 98 in January and stole one out of a 01 XJ. It was practically the same, except the cog was different sizes. The JY is your best bet I think, 30 bones.

Ya, you are replacing something that failed with the same exact thing that will prolly fail down the road too, but these Jeeps are 10+ years old, what's the point in spending $100-$250 on something that will last longer than the Jeep itself?

BC the xj can and will last longer. I have gotten them from my local dealer for $90 in the past. They are no longer there so I'd hit up a salvage yard.

BC the xj can and will last longer. I have gotten them from my local dealer for $90 in the past. They are no longer there so I'd hit up a salvage yard.

well anything can last forever, hypothetically, it's all a matter of how much you want to spend on upkeep.

but my money is on something else (more expensive than the XJ is worth) braking before a brand new, beefier window regulator, like a tranny or God forbid a wreck (knock on wood).

I just think it's silly to spend any kind of money ($50+) for a window regulator that is going to last a long time, when the Jeep may not. sure you may want to keep it forever, but are you gonna spend $$$ on a new tranny that is more than the price of the Jeep? not really smart, of course there may be some circumstances that I'm not considering, but basically it's a bad idea I think...

This is the thing that turns off the motor when the window reaches the top right?
My front driver side one has been messed up since I got the Jeep and the rear driver side one just failed.

Back