• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lock-Right not unlocking...

Jeffro600

NAXJA Forum User
Oh the frustrations!! After tearing the entire front end apart and putting that locker in, i realized i forgot to put in one of the stupid spacers in after completly putting everything back together....well i tore it back down, put in the spacer that i so conveniently found on my bench and bolted everything back in place and took it for a drive. In 2hi, it is constantly locked like i have a spool in the front and doesnt ratchet at all...tires chirp and it feels like the locker is fully locked, even when decelerating.

So...what ELSE did i do wrong?!?! :wierd: Is it going to hurt anything to drive with it like this...i was supposed to do a run early tomarrow morning and doubt if ill have time to tear it down AGAIN.

Last edited:
i'd pull it and check your springs

Well after RE-reading the sucky ass instructions, it says IMPORTANT on like the last freakin page. Yup, so important that they stick it in the back...Has to do with thrust washer wear and measurements...wish i would have seen these the FIRST time i did this. :hang:

D30 I'm assuming??? If so, do you have the vaccuum disconnect or not? From the sounds of it you do not. That may be the problem. Usually you don't want to use a Lock-Rite without the vaccuum disconnect just for that reason. You could, as Ramsey stated, tear it down, just the cover, and make sure all the springs, bigger and smaller ones, are in place. Also check the pins and make sure they move freely. Also make sure the locker its self will move far enough to slip past the other half, if you know what I mean.

I'll have to doulble check but I'm almost positive that with a solid (non-disconnect) axle, you would want to go with a different locker such as an ARB. One that can be unlocked manually.

..............Mikey

The vaccum is connected...never took it off in the first place. I dunno...i think ill just wheel it how it is for tomarrow. Doesnt look like it will hurt anything. But im willing to bet its the thrust washers...especially after reading through the manual a few more times and doing a quick search here...sounds like if your out of tollerance, it will do 1 of 2 things...act like a spool, or not lock at all and just ratchet not delivering any power to the wheels.

An ARB would be nice...but is WAY out of my price range for now. Several people here and on other forums have wheeled with an auto in the D30 and havent had any serious issues.

leaving the thrust washers out will keep it locked ;) trust me :D

i have one in my turdy that is non disconnect and it is not a problem at all.

Just going by comments from some friends of mine. I was told that some time ago. Oviously I was told wrong. Sorry for misinforming you. I never had a locker in the front of mine. I have been lucky and not needed it...........yet!

.................Mikey

Ramsey said:
leaving the thrust washers out will keep it locked ;) trust me :D

i have one in my turdy that is non disconnect and it is not a problem at all.

lol, with my luck those are probably sitting on my bench and didnt get installed either...ohwells, im goin to bed! Ill update you guys tomarrow sometime. :speepin:

Nevermind...my bonehead did forget the dang thrust washers...thought the thrust washers were those little concave ones that went on the spiders. :rolleyes: Anywho, got it back together and it works great now..thanks for your guy's help!!

Back