• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6.5" lift with no SYE

Roads

NAXJA Forum User
I currently I have my 93 xj sport on an ACOS (2" lift) in the front and big shackles (2" lift) in the rear. I am thinking of buying the RE6130 4.5" superflex lift and continue using my ACOS and monster shackels giving me about a 6.5"ish lift. My question is, is it possible for my stock slip yoke to slip out at this hieght. I can handle vibration as I plan buying a SYE in time as money allows. My main concern is weather or not the SY will pop out. Keep in mind that this kit includes a 1" T-case drop.

Last edited:
just buy the SYE before the lift, thats alot of lift for no sye..:lecture:

6.5" w/stock driveshaft - no sye, no vibes - never popped the shaft out either.

it all depends on your individual vehicle.

that being said, the aforementioned items are probably going to be one of my next jeep purchases.

I wouldn't recommend it. My 93 experienced a rather intimidating vibe at lifting throttle with stock driveshaft and no SYE running the RE 4.5" coils and 3.5" leaf springs. Close examination revealed that the yoke was run out much too near the end and was wobbling - I could see the wear marks. I never dropped the shaft, but it worried me greatly until I installed my HD SYE and woody shaft very shortly thereafter. Keep in mind that the RE 4.5" leafs sit much higher than the rated 4.5 inches and with the ACOS and tall shackles you might very well find yourself vaulting over your dropped driveshaft.

Well I think I try it and stick mainly to the street and maybe some light off-road. I doubt it would pop out on the street but then again I am total nOOb to this stuff.

Roads said:
Well I think I try it and stick mainly to the street and maybe some light off-road. I doubt it would pop out on the street but then again I am total nOOb to this stuff.

you probably don't want to do 6+ inches 'till you've done many hours of searching and reading then. it gets difficult.

i've personally drove and ridden in an XJ with over 10,000 miles on an 8" lift with no SYE. It had zero vibes. It seems to be rare and unexplained, but it happens.

that said, if you keep the same rear axle, yes the yoke could very easily fall out, and may not even be in at ride height. If you swap to an axle with a longer pinion (from D35 to D44 for instance) it will help push the yoke back in the t-case. Also, the XJ slip yoke will be very close to binding at 6.5 inches, a YJ slipyoke can take much more angle before binding.

Roads said:
As another had mentioned, the 4.5" springs and coils will likely give you more lift than the 4.5", so keeping your current components will likely net you 7+" of lift. I can't imagine running without an SYE/CV DS at that height. Not to mention, if you're new to this, and possibly new to wheeling, you might be surprised to find that these trucks do very well without tremendous amounts of lift. Just food for thought.

I have been wheeling with my xj nearley stock except for the lift stated above and with shit ass worse than stock tires. I must say I was very impressed with it's performance. I have a lot of time to thouroghly plan out my setup and have been calling RE and getting ideas for swapping parts in the kit I mentioned earlier for different parts. My current idea (which seems to change hourly) is this. Purchase the 4.5" SF kit w/leaf packs, use my my existing shackles (3.5" leaf + my current 2" shackle = 5.5 lift), downgrade from the 4.5" coil spring to the 3.5" (3.5" coil + my ACOS = 5.5" +/-), add adjustable upper and lower CA's. This is the idea I'm pondering so far. The idea is to not go overly big for what I want (33's and the need for more upgrades) and to save money on the lift by swapping the shackles and down grading the springs and gaining adjustable CA's. Please give me your thoughts. Are adjustable uca's and lca's needed or should I just get lca's.

Roads said:
...My current idea (which seems to change hourly)...
haha! I'm right there with you on that one. Everytime I think I've got it figured out the way I want, another idea comes up! The only "problem" i see is that (from everything I've read and a couple rigs I've seen) the RE parts, especially the leafs, give more than the advertised lift! That doesn't help when trying to combine current lift pieces (shackles/ACOS) with the new ones. One item I recently found out is that the RE 3.5" leaf packs, combined with the RE shackles (.75" lift) gives at least 5".

Sounds like your new plan of the 3.5" springs is a good idea. I can't comment on whether the adj U/L control arms are necessary, or just the adj LCAs. I just don't have enough experience in that area. My control arms have (or will have when I get all the pieces together) both U/L adj.

If your worried about it why not put ONLY your 4.5 lift on without shackels and spacers until you can buy an SYE. Seems to be a good idea ot me?

Pogiboy said:
If your worried about it why not put ONLY your 4.5 lift on without shackels and spacers until you can buy an SYE. Seems to be a good idea ot me?
Because I know I will be happy with only the 4.5" and not want to re-lift my jeep to reinstall the acos and shackles. Also at 4.5" I probably wouldn't "need" a SYE although I'm sure it would be nice.

you could always switch to a long slip yoke...RE has them amoung others....or i could just sell ya my old drive shafts...(2) for like 20bucks.... :gag:

Here is the big issue with lifts and SYE's besides vibes. The angle on the Ujoints starts to get severe. On the street you may get by, but on the trail, at least the trails I run, you end up flexing a ton. The Ujoints simply don't have the range of motion before they bind. I ran 6: with no SYE and ended up ruining the driveshaft because the Ujoints bound up. I never had any vibes. That is why I came up with the cheap SYE solution. I didn't have any money and needed a SYE. As for the longer slip yoke, I was running that. While the length of the driveshaft is somewhat an issue, the binding is more problematic. Remember that if you go with a longer driveshaft and don't put in bumpstops you are asking for a busted Tcase. Think of it this way. Hitting a big bump and bottoming the rear axle puts the axle in the exact same position it was when you had the short driveshaft. Where is all that extra driveshaft length going to go?
:lecture:

Mrburns said:
you could always switch to a long slip yoke...RE has them amoung others....or i could just sell ya my old drive shafts...(2) for like 20bucks.... :gag:
Are either of those good options? Which would be better a longer slip yoke or a longer DS. Sounds to me like a longer DS would be less of an angle on the joints. What DS is it, how long is it, and will it fit on my xj? Also I've heard that replacing the joints can help reduce the stress of the increased angle.

I can't remember the exact length but im thinking like 33? or something...don't qoute me on that....that come straight out of my ass.....but they are XJ rear DS's with the longer slipyokes on them... nothing fancy but they work great... i think i was using them when mine was about 5-6" lift.... im at about 8" now so i went to an SYE...They work great...depending on what your doing with your XJ...DDing..or just some weekend light warrior shizz...they are great....hardcore...im going to break something wheeling...well they "could" be fine...

Weird enough, i lifted my jeep up 3" with aal. Even that vibrated. BUt with a 1" t drop it was gone. Wonder why it differs so much form jeep to jeep.
One last thing, beware of the dw!

Mrburns said:

the RE slip-yoke IS essentially a YJ yoke.. i have both.. absolutley no difference between them.

I was going to say that....but i wasn't 100% sure....but that is correct...they are VERY similar if not exactly the same....either way...

Mrburns said:
I was going to say that....but i wasn't 100% sure....but that is correct...they are VERY similar if not exactly the same....either way...
I am somewhat interested in your DS and slip yoke. It is an xj DS and what kind of slip yoke?

Back