• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad FM/AM Radio Reception

andrew2516

NAXJA Forum User
About a month ago my radio got fuzzy and has been like that ever since. I pick up the usual stations but there is interference. I think I might have broke a connection in the antenna while wheeling, but can't figure out where. I've checked the antenna and it looks ok, and I've also played with that connection behind the kick plate on the passenger side. I looked through some of the old threads and didn't really find anything. If anyone has had this same problem help!

andrew2516 said:
I didn't really want to take my dash apart but I guess thats my next step.
Did you get your speakers wet? Have you tried to tell by using the fader/balance controls is the problem is front,back left or right?
OH BY THE WAY, A BAD ANTENNA CONNECTION WILL RUIN "AM" RECEPTION
BUT ONLY SLIGHLY EFFECT "FM"

Last edited:
Not an expert but I think the antenna has to be making a good ground with the fender. Maybe ya need to clean the fender and antenna contact point.

What year? In my 97 its as easy as pulling the center trim, and there's 2 screws. On my friends 93 though, that big peice is a PITA. How they expect that to come off without twisting the hell out of it is beyond me.

Deffintaly check the back of the radio. It will more then "slightly" effect the reception, especially if your in the boonies. In the city, nahh, not so much.

Check the insulation on as many wires as you can easily access. I've heard of old spark plug wires causing radio interference.

BCParker said:
Check the insulation on as many wires as you can easily access. I've heard of old spark plug wires causing radio interference.
First try your radio with the engine off, if it's no better then you don't have to look at the wires.

I ripped the whole inside apart today, and thought I fixed it for about 10 minutes. When I drive around certain areas, I lose good reception and it gets sort of fuzzy. I checked all conections, when I disconnected them, the radio got almost no reception. My jeep is a 93 and yeah it did kinda suck bending the main piece to get it out, I thought it was going to break. I took the antenna off, and played with that, and it didn't seem to make a difference in the radio signal. I'm thinking it something behind the fender, and I defanitly don't want to tear all that apart.

Back