• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My flop on Rocker Knocker.... setting the record straight.

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
I missed the oportunity to voice my side of this little incident in Dr. Moab's thread and after reading Kejtar's post in the Member's forum, I would like to contribute.

I'm sure there isn't a single person that feels worse about the flop than Ryan. Ryan did a great job of spotting all of the rigs over the obstacle, his spotting had absolutely nothing to do with my rig laying over.

There were a few comments made on the trail and in a few posts about how no one was there for me to help prevent the flop. Well, I'll agree that it was a bummer that everyone left the obstacle when I started up, but I'd rather have the damage than someone getting hurt. Sure, maybe one or two people grabbing the Jeep coulda saved it, but the reality of this situation is that it was my decision to attempt the obstacle and it most certainly was my responsibility to address any concerns about it BEFORE attempting it. After revewing the incident in my head a million times, I really should have asked for a side strap as a precaution. Rocker Knocker is the kind of obstacle where a side strap would always be a good idea on any rig, with any driver.

I also believe that having the solid locker in the front and having only 13 psi in the tires contributed to the problem. Just before it flopped, the right front grabbed and pulled up, pitching the front end to the left and high on the upper ledge. Then I could feel the passenger side tires fold as the sidewalls got pushed under the wheels - I'm still surprised I didn't pop a bead on the left rear. More air pressure probably would have allowed the tires to slip a bit easier for the "crab-walk" needed to get into climbing position.

If for nothing else, I learned:
- When in doubt, taking a strap is cheap insurance
- Low tire pressures aren't perfect for all obstacles
- NAXJA folks are the best!

So, Ryan don't beat yourself up :cheers: , Mark thanks for locking that thread before it got outta hand :thumbup: , and a huge thanks to the guys that got my rig shiny side up again - that went smoother than the flop did. :worship: :clap:

Heard this during the event: Chicks dig body damage, wives don't. Boy ain't that the truth! :laugh3:

It really is a bummer that you damaged your heep on Rocker Knocker! I know for a fact that Ryan felt terrible about you flipping. The thing is that we all take that chance every time we go out to enjoy the sport we love. Your thread was very refreshing to read and I am sure that Ryan will appreciate it as well.

-Von
( who could not do Pritchett due to a broken track bar)

Who was involved in getting my rig back on it's feet again anyway? I don't recall seeing the winch rig and anyone other than Justin and Ryan.

YELLAHEEP said:
Who was involved in getting my rig back on it's feet again anyway? I don't recall seeing the winch rig and anyone other than Justin and Ryan.
I think Led pretty much took over the recovery...I let him because I knew he would know more about you and your rig and more how you wanted things done.

Rick from AZ turned his junk around and winched you over, I just hooked ya up

Led said:
Rick from AZ turned his junk around and winched you over, I just hooked ya up

Well then thanks bruthas! :cheers:

Mark Hinkley said:
It was the balloon's fault!

:D

hinkley

Yeah Mark, that was the going joke at the time....... that extra few ounces of lift from that nearly dead balloon was just enough to send it over..... :laugh3:

I had the balloon the day before on Hells Revenge. I think the extra lift from it helped get me out the Escalator :laugh3: That balloon was found floating across the trail at that long steep climb about 1/4 of the way into the trail.

Sucks about your XJ, Troy. I hope the wife wasn't too pissed. Are you still planning on repairing it, or cutting it up and tubin' it out ? ;)

I'm glad I could help get it back on it's wheels. I kinda wish I was there to keep it upright, though.

Hey Mark...............it takes one to know one :D

Rick

RMJOPSH WWU

Rick XTRM XJ said:
I had the balloon the day before on Hells Revenge. I think the extra lift from it helped get me out the Escalator :laugh3: That balloon was found floating across the trail at that long steep climb about 1/4 of the way into the trail.

Sucks about your XJ, Troy. I hope the wife wasn't too pissed. Are you still planning on repairing it, or cutting it up and tubin' it out ? ;)

I'm glad I could help get it back on it's wheels. I kinda wish I was there to keep it upright, though.

Hey Mark...............it takes one to know one :D

Rick

RMJOPSH WWU

All in all, the damage isn't huge. No mechanical damage. The pillar is the worst and I'll pull it out and re-skin it this spring. The rear quarter and hatch will need some massaging to get them to make contact and seal correctly - probably a pin puller and a new hatch will be the remedy. No cuttin' and tubin' for me ..... not yet anyway. Shari wasn't "pissed", just cashed in on a ton of I told ya so's. (She asked me not to run Pritchet, and if I did, then to not attempt Rocker Knocker..... guess her intuition was right on target as usual).

YELLAHEEP said:
(She asked me not to run Pritchet, and if I did, then to not attempt Rocker Knocker..... guess her intuition was right on target as usual).
Women!!!

YELLAHEEP said:
Rocker Knocker is the kind of obstacle where a side strap would always be a good idea on any rig, with any driver.

I also believe that having the solid locker in the front and having only 13 psi in the tires contributed to the problem. position.

I learned:
- Low tire pressures aren't perfect for all obstacles

crap.

none of that is necessary unless:

-your rig is too heavy or tall
-you don't know how to fricking drive.

just be honest and admit driver to error.

WipesOutStains said:
crap.

none of that is necessary unless:

-your rig is too heavy or tall
-you don't know how to fricking drive.

just be honest and admit driver to error.

Heh heh...... Hi BG! Can't stay away can ya.....

Your user name is appropriate since you dwell in the crack of the MWC nether regions...... Got TP?

"TheFortuneAteMySon" got old huh?

This must be his on-line equivalent to drunk-dialing.

Actually, we have something in common don't we? Perhaps putting an XJ on it's driver's side? Oh, that's right.... you did yours on PAVEMENT.....

Oh, and as to this: "just be honest and admit driver to error"...... I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I did.

I shoulda had a side strap - driver error
I shoulda had more air pressure - driver error

Maybe you should simply try being a driver sometime....... friggin' armchair quarterback.... :looser:

Last edited:
0313 said:
So lets see all the pics of the roll over. A blown up view of your avatar too. :D

What are ya? Lazy???? A couple of minutes in this forum will get ya what you're looking for..... sheesh.

Try "LessLimited's" thread of pics.

Besides, it wasn't a roll, it was a flop - get it right.

:laugh3:

YELLAHEEP said:
What are ya? Lazy???? A couple of minutes in this forum will get ya what you're looking for..... sheesh.

Try "LessLimited's" thread of pics.

Besides, it wasn't a roll, it was a flop - get it right.

:laugh3:

Whos the lazy one? It took ya a week to respond. :D

YELLAHEEP said:
Oh, and as to this: "just be honest and admit driver to error"...... I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I did.

I shoulda had a side strap - driver error
I shoulda had more air pressure - driver error

You admitted to needing training wheels. You need to admit that you don't know how to drive.

Even Dora can make that obstacle without the road giving way

Back