• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home Fab Bumpers

Devil_Mutt

NAXJA Member #1244
Hey All. Been runnin my 90 Laredo with stock bumpers for a while now and have decided to get rid of them. Im pretty good with a welder, and clean up a joint pretty good, but have never tried to make a bumper. Did a search, but probably didnt word it right cause I didnt find what I was lookin for. I could use some advice in regards to steel sizes, dimensions, tips, tricks, no-no's. The such. I appreciate any help.

i got some pics of mine i did not build it but i helped my freinds with it
ss22.jpg

use at least 3/16" or thicker steel. 1/4 is pretty much the heaviest you would ever need to go as it will hold up to dropping the whole XJ on it at once :D

you could use 1/8" but no guarantee's it won't bend or dent less you reinforce it a good bit.

I was going to build on or have one built but I found jcroffroad.com and I ordered one from them. Lifetime warrenty sounds good to me.
just my 2 cents

:scared: :scared:
allthingsoffroad said:
i got some pics of mine i did not build it but i helped my freinds with it
ss22.jpg

My Mj has 3"x5" rectangle stock for a rear bumper. I cut and chamfered to pieces of 2x4 pressure treated for endcaps. I have backed into a couple of trees and haven't put a dent in it yet.

My back bumper in made from a piece of channel with 2x2 square tube for mounting it to the body.
jeep9.jpg

My front bumper is from my dad's old '79 Dodge Power Wagon, I just cut the corners welded in some diamond plate and made some mounting brackets. The mounting points on the bumper are exactly the same width as the Jeep mounting points which made life a whole lot easier.
jeep10.jpg

Chris

LazarusMJ said:
Here is a link to see my bumper

477839855icaQqG_ph.jpg

477840326UMZMrY_ph.jpg

Holy Hillbilly truck Batman!

Original....definitely!

GI-John said:

Original....definitely!

Thanks! Hey, when your bedsides rot off and you need to fix it quick, that is a damn easy way to do it. And I can stand on the fenders. And I ain't no little guy.

By the way how do you post pics like that?

We have specs on this if you need.....

Emily's%20bumper%20010.jpg

Emily's%20bumper%20013.jpg

Emily's%20bumper%20012.jpg

XJGrl

GI-John said:
477839855icaQqG_ph.jpg

477840326UMZMrY_ph.jpg

Original....definitely!

Wow... you sure you dont like closer to the south??? Or did you and the family through grandma in the back and move to the north?

:laugh3:

Wow... you sure you dont like closer to the south??? Or did you and the family through grandma in the back and move to the north?

:lecture:
Maybe you should check your spelling before you poke fun at people in the south.:)

Back