• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Longer NP231 slip yoke (YJ v Rusty v Mako)

Mngreen

NAXJA Forum User
This is a continuation of an older thread...I have a 3" lift on a 92. I have mild driveline vibration, more of a roar. My sli; yoke is pulled out of the xfer case a little too far, I think. NAXJA members have talked of installing a longer slip yoke to help alleviate the problem, some bought from Rusty's, RE, and Mako Mfg. Most thought that the Mako was the best, and that since itwas stamped "spicer" that it was likely a YJ yoke. Am I better off getting a Mako yoke for $70 or a YJ yoke for $40? Anyone know for sure if they are the same part?
Save me the sermon on an SYE. This is a cheap Jeep and unless things were to get worse, my vibes aren't bad enough to warrant the investment.

Thanks! LL

Have you tried replacing the rear driveshaft u-joints? Ive got a 3" lift on mine and no SYE and just simply changing the u-joints out got rid of the vibes i was getting.

Yep...brand new ones. It helped a litte. I can actually tell that the yoke is now pulled out of the tailcone quite a bit, so I am thinking it might not have auite enough of the shaft left in the housing if that makes sense.

70 dollars plus shipping to maybe fix the problem, or $199 shipped for a SYE from PORC that will likely resolve multiple issues and allow you to go higher in the future. Just a thought.

Mngreen said:
That would be $199 plus the cost of a custom driveshaft, right? another $230 bucks...

Every jeep is different. I am at 4.5" of lift with a D35 rear axle and no SYE. I know of others that are at 6" and 8" of lift with the stock rear driveline. Your 3" of lift is not pulling the yoke out too far. You might have vibrations from all sorts of reasons.

A rusty's or YJ yoke will provide more angle from the yoke if you need it. It will do NOTHING for the vibrations.

You could do a SYE and a stock front driveline for cheap? Do a search and you will find more info than you could read in a day on both subjects. It has been covered lots!!

Michael

Mngreen said:
That would be $199 plus the cost of a custom driveshaft, right? another $230 bucks...

Use an stock XJ front driveshaft. I get mine from a junkyard for about 20 bucks.

Back