• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

msd question

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Why can't solid core plug wires be used with msd ignition system?I'm trying to mix and match ignition componets on the cheap and noticed that msd says not to use solid core wires with their systems.

T.I.A

solid core wire generate too much RFI and will screw with the signal from the ecu to the MSD control box.

Actually the only vehicles you'd want to run solid core wires on are race vehicles with no onboard computer or radios. The RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) generated by solid core wires screws with just about any electronic device.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Cheap and MSD usually don't fall together if you want them to work right. Unless you've built a very powerful motor that needs a high outpet ignition, a good set of low resistance wires (I use MSD approximatly 40 ohms per foot) a good set of plugs (this does NOT mean expensive, I run NGK's ) and a good quality cap and rotor (Napa gold is good, just make sure the shell is thick and the terminals are brass). This will fire off all but the most extreme mixtures. If you want to go one more step MSD makes a replacement coil for late model dodge trucks P/N 8228 that will fit 91-97 XJ's. If you have room to mount it and want a little more power try a Blaster SS P/N 8207, higher outpet than the 8228 comes with vibration mounts yet is still small enough to mount easily. Only after these upgrades should you worry about a box.

Dingo

markaboo929 said:
i think he means JEEP as being for cheap like HEEP and Just Empty Every Pocket. :dunno:

Hmm. never thought of that. My XJ NEVER ends up being cheap. Seems like even an oil change means lots more money. Couldn't be the fact that everytime I crawl under the Jeep I see the need for more upgrades, could it?

Dingo

markaboo929 said:
i think he means JEEP as being for cheap like HEEP and Just Empty Every Pocket. :dunno:
No I meant on the cheap...but your right it always ends up costing more.

Thanks for the info on the ignition,it seems to be the general consenus that a after market box is not needed unless you have a high compression motor or larger injectors ect.ect.

The reason I am looking into a box is A.the ignition is 16 years old and B.I am having some rough idle/driveability problems,so I'm hoping that 8mm wires,splitfire plugs,hi-po coil ,and box will cure all that.

Last edited:
Back