• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aw4 TCU read out and TPS Info

project

NAXJA Forum User
i changed the tranny but problem is still there(poor shifting, stalling, slipping...). here is the read out from the TCU:
RED= FAILED (NO SIGNAL)
BLUE= PASSED

Key on Engine Off. Meter set to DC volts. 5- to 8-volt Speed Sensor pulse per one revolution

Key On Engine Off. Selector Lever in the 1-2 position. Meter set to DC volts
Battery Voltage*

Key On Engine Off. Selector Lever in the D Battery Voltage* position. Meter set to DC volts.

Key On Engine Off. Meter set to DC volts
Brake OFF. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0 Volts
Brake ON. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Battery voltage

Key On Engine Off. Meter set to DC volts
Comfort switch in POWER mode . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Battery Voltage
Comfort switch in COMFORT mode . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0 volts

Key Off. TCU unplugged. Meter set to Ohms Converter Clutch Solenoid Resistance 11-15 ohms

Key Off. TCU unplugged. Meter set to Ohms Shift Solenoid #2 11-15 ohms

Key Off. TCU unplugged. Meter set to Ohms Shift Solenoid #1 11-15 ohms

Key On Engine Off. Meter set to DC Volts TPS Voltage Supply Approx. 5 Volts

Key On Engine Off. Meter set to DC Volts D2 TPS Voltage Input Closed Throttle . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Approx. 4.5 Volts Wide Open Throttle. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Approx. 0.5 Volts

Key On Engine Off. Meter set to DC Volts 0.1 Volt TPS Ground or less

Key Off. Meter set to DC Volts Battery Voltage

Key On Engine Off. Meter set to DC Volts Ignition Voltage Battery Voltage

In Drive, it only reads 0.80 V insted of 12
what is wrong?

It's an 88 XJ, 4.0 .

Last edited:
Man, I wonder if my transmission problem isn't the same problem you're having. Mine had eratic shifting, then progressed into winding WAY out in first, and second gear, and I THINK it's going into fourth, and if it is, the RPM's are WAY high.

To any and all non-believers out there, I had a problem with my AW4 not shifting right. Do yourself a HUGE favor, and check the TPS FIRST!

Use the square four wire plug, ground to "D", hot to "A"(Input Voltage(Should be around 4.59-4.61)) Then keep the ground on "D", hot to "B"(Output Voltage(Should be 83% of the input voltage(around 3.81-3.83))) If it's out of this range, (My output voltage was 0.002...HORRIBLE, couldn't be adjusted, had to buy a new one.) try adjusting by loosening the screws a little bit, and twist the TPS 'till it's in range. I JUST bought a new TPS(Mine was UBER shot), adjusted it, and my Jeep runs like a dream again!

Back