• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine change, need advise

Ron Hyslop

NAXJA Forum User
87xj, 4.0l, aw4. My Cylinder head change has evolved into an engine change. While studying up to do this job, I've found one part I'm confused about. My shop manual says to "mark the converter and drive plate locations", and then "remove the converter-to-drive plate bolts". I assume "converter" is the torque converter and "drive plate" is the flex plate. So I am guessing that I mark them with chalk so that I can get them to alighn on re-assembly and that the flex plate is attached to the flywheel and comes out with the engine.

Sounds good to me, but I usually clean the area with solvent, then use a waterproof marker and often even punch a couple of marks into the parts going back together. To many times I've had my marks rub off from oil or what not.

Marking the torque converter and flexplate is less about part fitment and more about putting everything back together as closely as possible; i.e. balancing and minimizing vibrations.

An engine with an automatic transmission doesn't have both a flywheel and a flexplate; it's one or the other. Flywheels work with clutches, flexplates work with converters. Most of the time, "flywheel" is the generalized term for the round disc attached to the back of an engine.

8Mud, making a few punch holes sounds like a good idea. I'll have to try that next time.

Back