• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear main tools needed question

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
Well, the title says it all. Working on a '90 and need to do this tomorrow.
What size sockets do I need? I figure the bolts to the starter and oil pan are standard, but the bearing cap, what do I need for those? Want to make sure I have what I need before I start it, as once I do, no way can I go out to get what I need.
Also will try to get a brass punch as I have heard mentioned that it will need. Anything else that is readily available that I may require to get it out?

TIA

You are going to need a oil pan gasket if you already have not bought one. Spend the extra money and get the one piece rubber gasket!!! Those 4 piece ones that are cork are a joke unless you want the underside of your jeep covered in oil. I know from experience, you don't want to have to take off the oil pan again!! Good luck

Thanks for the replies. Got the write up already. Just want to make sure I don't have a socket size needed that I don't already have as I can't just go out and get it after the fact.

As for what I need part wise, got everything ready to go. Just gotta do it now.

As for tools, it's pretty basic other than the punch. IIRC, I had better luck with the 3/8" deeps than anything else. You might want an extension or two as well.

Definitely get the one-piece gasket; I got mine at NAPA. A new oil pump pickup wouldn't hurt either.

Got lift? You're going to need to drop the axle several inches to get the oil pan out; mine just barely cleared and I'm at 4.5" lift. Any shorter and you might want to put the frame up on jackstands, remove the front tires and let the axle droop.

Yucca-Man said:
As for tools, it's pretty basic other than the punch. IIRC, I had better luck with the 3/8" deeps than anything else. You might want an extension or two as well.

Definitely get the one-piece gasket; I got mine at NAPA. A new oil pump pickup wouldn't hurt either.

Got lift? You're going to need to drop the axle several inches to get the oil pan out; mine just barely cleared and I'm at 4.5" lift. Any shorter and you might want to put the frame up on jackstands, remove the front tires and let the axle droop.

Thanks. My biggest worry is once inside I don't have a size I need. Got extensions etc so good there. Don't have too much of a lift yet. That won't be until later.Only got barely 2" right now, but plan on putting on stands and dropping the axle anyways to make sure I have enough room. Think I may have to pull off the front skidplate to get the front of the pan easier. Will have to see once I get under it when I get home from work in the am.

A good source for a brass punch that is the right size is the hobby shop, you can buy 3/16" solid brass rods for pretty cheap. That didnt cut it on mine though, it was REALLY stuck, i ended up turning a brass punch for my air chisel out of a large chunk of brass.

Another good thing to pick up for this job is a can of permatex gasket remover, it works really well. Just spray it on and let it soak in for a while, it makes scraping the old oil pan gasket off much easier.

Have fun

Back