• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 bearings

jeepme

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am trying to track down a clunking niose in the rear and last night I decided to check the wheel bearings. When I grab a rear tire at the 6 and 12 o clock position I get a little movement back and forth and can here a small clunking. When grabing the tire at the 3 and 9 o clock position all is tight. Is this normal play or should it be tight all the way around. Also I am getting the same results from both the left and right tire.

Thanks

The 8.25 is a C clip rearend. C clip rears usually have a small amount of play in the axle shaft. You should be able to move it in and out of the tube just enough to hear a clunk, maybe 1/8" or so. The in and out movement isnt the up and down play that you were looking for with bad bearings but maybe you mistook the in out movement for up down.

Hmm could be. I did here the clunking from the diff. So how is the best way to tell if the bearings are bad?

Back