• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Borla exhaust for 99 XJ?

raypla

NAXJA Forum User
Im about to order a header for my 99 XJ (104,000 mi still a baby) I was dead set on getting the Banks but after talking to my materials engineering teach. he said that the 309 ss is better that the 409 ss used 4 the Banks product I was just wondering if i could use the borla header (they only list to 97) with out any issues?
Thanks ahead of time.

I think ....The borla header does not fit with the new style intake manifold. somewhere I read about someone using a header for an earlier XJ and having to grind away part of the bottom of the intake. I don't knowfor sure though- call/email the company whose product you want.

also, I think for the later xj's you get a two piece header more like a v6

Thanks for the reply I just ordered a Banks header to go with the magnaflow cat back that I ordered today, I asked the muffler shop if they have some stainless to bend me up a down pipe, and they don't so I found another site to get a 5' length of 2.5" stainless for 36$ from http://stores.channeladvisor.com/vertexnow/Items/T-0250-W-A269-065-4-ML-BA-5?# So i figure that should do it. Now I just got to get a high flow Cat, but im going to wait and see what the sizes of everything is 1st.

BCParker said:
also, I think for the later xj's you get a two piece header more like a v6

Only '00 and '01........:lecture:

raypla said:
Thanks for the reply I just ordered a Banks header to go with the magnaflow cat back that I ordered today, I asked the muffler shop if they have some stainless to bend me up a down pipe, and they don't so I found another site to get a 5' length of 2.5" stainless for 36$ from http://stores.channeladvisor.com/vertexnow/Items/T-0250-W-A269-065-4-ML-BA-5?# So i figure that should do it. Now I just got to get a high flow Cat, but im going to wait and see what the sizes of everything is 1st.

Post back up when it's all on, I am looking at this same setup.............:cheers:

No problem. I dont have access to a dyno (except a seat of the pants 1) but it'll be a few weeks anyhow bye time it gets here, Bow season starts Sat. 15 here in NY(soutern zone), and I'm hoping to get a decent buck with my new Mathews bow this year. So don't hold your breath.

raypla said:
Im about to order a header for my 99 XJ (104,000 mi still a baby) I was dead set on getting the Banks but after talking to my materials engineering teach. he said that the 309 ss is better that the 409 ss used 4 the Banks product I was just wondering if i could use the borla header (they only list to 97) with out any issues?
Thanks ahead of time.

A couple of months ago I had to decide between the Borla and the Banks. I went with the Banks and am very happy with it. It bolted up perfectly.
The Borla is a little longer and comes with a downpipe. The downpipe gets in the way of the passenger side control arm on some rigs. For a street machine it would be fine, but for offroading I didn't want any issues. Also with the Borla there are issues with mounting to the engine. Some trimming is necessary according to some people.

The Banks is gauranteed so I am not worried if one type of stainless is a little better than another. I doubt that it would ever make a difference.

Hope this helps-
Jeff-97XJ

I have a 99XJ with 4.0L and installed the Borla header. It comes with the piping(mandrel bends) all the way to the catalytic converter.
I did this install about 3-4 years ago I think.

I had absolutely no issues with the Borla header attaching to the engine.
The cross pipe is fine as well. The only thing difference is that the Borla pipe is of a slightly different diameter than the pipe exiting the catalytic converter so an adapter is necessary.

The only thing I didn't like is that the hanger on the Borla pipe just before it goes into the cat has this upside down "U" that you will need to bend in order to fit it into the rubber bushing where the original hanger fit into.
The original pipe had a 1/4 to 3/8 inch diameter rod(welded to the pipe) that slips into rubber bushing.
Because of this upside down "U" shape, this "U", over time, cuts into the bushing and unfortunately decreases the clearance between the exhaust piping and the cross member holding up the transmission/transfercase.
This has caused an occasional thump when my XJ goes over bumps/dips on the street highway.

Rigging something up with the hanger prior to installing the thing should eliminate this problem.

Just this weekend I loosened the clamps holding the exhaust up and re-positioned things to eliminate the occasional thumping I had.

If you need any pics of the install, I can email them to you.

MAP

The header I installed was also listed as only for up to a 97. Since 97 is when the Cherokee re-design occurred, I figured the header should fit my 99 with no problem, so that is what I did.
I don't know if Borla came out with a version that was specified for a 98+ XJ.

MAP

Well I just got the Banks header what a piece of work a 1/2" flange sounds impressive, but it looks 10 times more impressive. I have a few questions.
1.) Were does the front O2 sensor go?
2.) How is the downpipe souposed to connect to the header (I understand The downpipe is suposed to be on the outside)
I'm going to have it all professionally installed but I was just curious on the size of the downpipe. The outside dia. of the head pipe was 2 3/8 give or take 1/16.
My main question is once the catback comes in, (magnaflow) what do I do next? I really dont want to use the stock crushed piece of junk head pipe, stainless holds up much better here in upstate NY were if they forcast even flurries they salt the bejesus out of the roads, thanks ahead of time for your responses :)

raypla said:
I'm going to have it all professionally installed but I was just curious on the size of the downpipe.

Where are you getting it installed?

If you ever make it up to the Queensbury/Glen Falls area, there is a midas up here that is run and managed but jeep guys. There is usually two or three TJ's in the parking lot. A buddy of mine just took his TJ there for a exhaust "mod", we just put RE 3 lin on it, they moved the Cat forward, threw a super 40 on it and bent up a tail pipe. Well after the second version, they got it right. I guess what I am saying is they will work with you and do what ever you want and are pretty cheap. Specially sense you are on a relatively stock XJ, they should be able to do everything for you, including O2 sensor bungs and everything.

CartsXJ said:
If you ever make it up to the Queensbury/Glen Falls area, there is a midas up here that is run and managed but jeep guys.
Are all their custom pipes mandrel bent?

Thayer said:
Are all their custom pipes mandrel bent?

Yes they have a bender right there on site and bend to fit. They are probably the only place in the area I would go for custom exhaust work. Actually I think sometime in the near future I am going to stop by and have them put a new down tube to match my Banks header and a full cat-back with a super 40 on.

I might just give that midas a call. There is a guy who works for midas,near me, who always sees me there and said he would do it under the table for me and has done the header install. Glens falls/Queensbury is like 45 min to an hour away so I'd prefer to stay close. I think my O2s crapped the bed cause lately the best gas mileage I've been able to get is 14-15 where 2 months ago I was getting 18 full tank in the city, I'll give that midas a call though, thanks for the tip.

CartsXJ said:
If you ever make it up to the Queensbury/Glen Falls area, there is a midas up here that is run and managed but jeep guys. There is usually two or three TJ's in the parking lot. A buddy of mine just took his TJ there for a exhaust "mod", we just put RE 3 lin on it, they moved the Cat forward, threw a super 40 on it and bent up a tail pipe. Well after the second version, they got it right. I guess what I am saying is they will work with you and do what ever you want and are pretty cheap. Specially sense you are on a relatively stock XJ, they should be able to do everything for you, including O2 sensor bungs and everything.

So I am finally gonna get this done and I called that midas in the Queensbury/Glen Falls area and the gentleman I spoke too told me "I can do it but your going to get creases no matter what, its too tight."

Now is this correct or should I call there again and speak to someone else. Or should I just go there and have it done. I dont want to waste my money if I'm just going to get the same result.

CartsXJ What is the address and phone # up there. I believe I got it right but I want to be sure I'm calling the right place.

raypla said:
So I am finally gonna get this done and I called that midas in the Queensbury/Glen Falls area and the gentleman I spoke too told me "I can do it but your going to get creases no matter what, its too tight."

Now is this correct or should I call there again and speak to someone else. Or should I just go there and have it done. I dont want to waste my money if I'm just going to get the same result.

CartsXJ What is the address and phone # up there. I believe I got it right but I want to be sure I'm calling the right place.

Midas Auto Service Experts

333 Quaker Rd
Queensbury, NY 12804

(518) 792-5803

If anything else, just let me know.

Thanx I had the right place. What do you think about the downpipe issue? The guy told me it was too tight too do. How did yours turn out?

Last edited:
raypla said:
Thanx I had the right place. What do you think about the downpipe issue? The guy told me it was too tight too do. How did yours turn out?

I haven't hada chance to get over there to get it done, yet. I am not sure what part would be too tight to fit. The down tube on a 98 XJ is pretty straight forward. Nothing too crazy, do you have a lift? What year? Unless you have two pre-cats, there shouldn't be a problem. My best advice would be to head up here and have them take a look at it. And don't be afraid to crawl under there and check out, advice and see what they want to do. The guys are pretty cool, and will work with you. I work right down the street if you need any help with anything, let me know.

I have a 99', it has only one cat after the downpipe. No lift but I intend on putting a 2" Rocklizard BB on. That shouldn't make a difference right?

So far I have a Banks header, Magnaflow catback, and Magnaflow Highflow cat. I just got to have it all put on. I was going to just get some direct fit Bosh O2 sensors, does anyone have experience w/these.(good/bad)

I just put a FIPK on and a Fastman TB thats bored to 62mm straight through. I've noticed a pretty good difference so far but I'm anxious to get it all together I really think it is all gonna corespond together well.

Last edited:
Back