• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grade 5 or 8?

ajporter03

NAXJA Forum User
I just got done putting in my new HD leaf springs from quadratec. They are great. I had to destroy two of the bolts to get the springs off. And the other two were too rusted to reuse. I couldn't find any replacements that were grade 8, so I bought the next best thing and got the grade 5 bolts. Do I need to replace them with the grade 8 bolts, or am I okay?

I would use grade 8 bolts if possible. Less worries when on the trail and much more stronger. Do it right the first time.

Kim.

Just for reference, the stock ones are class 9.8 metric bolts.

Thayer said:
Heh-heh....I wondered if anyone was going to catch that.

Yeah, I caught it. I was wondering where anyone could find a metric bolt in either grade 5 or grade 8. On the shackle end you can use 9/16" SAE bolts, but the one for the forward spring eye goes into a captive nut and you have to use metric for that one.

Thayer said:
I've never seen metric 9.8.
Are you sure you don't mean 8.8?
If so, that is comparable to a grade 5.
A metric 10.9 would be equal to a grade 8.

I knew about the metric bolts as well, but it didnt have a bearing in my case since I opened the top of the uniframe and replaced the bolt and captured nut with grade 8 SAE hardware...

Back